• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bulldawgs.... What type of rod do you use to throw them?

I have 3 shimano compre rods.... 8foot heavy, fast tip... 7foot heavy, fast tip.... 6foot 8inch extra heavy, fast tip.

My problem is that my longer rods have to light of a tip to handle the bulldawg but my extra heavy rod is short...

I have never fished bulldawgs and I am comming up in 2 weeks. I want to know if I should go buy another rod or not.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I figured that my 8 foot heavy, fast tip might do the job but I havent had it on the water yet... I wish it was an extra heavy but at the same time I got the heavy instead because I wanted to use it for multiple applications.

What do you think about the 6foot 8 inch exta heavy...Too short?

it is a 3-6 oz rod. ????

For how I fish, 6'8" is too short, but it's heavy enough, figure 8's will be harder but it will work for sure. Granted I spent most of last year throwing mag dawgs with a heavy rated rod, so your 8 footer should do fine as long as your tossing stuff under 8-9oz's.

Agreed, the 8' should do just fine, and with the no-stretch braided line you'll not have an issue with getting a good hookset.

Speaking of Dawgs and hooks, I swap all mine out and upgrade hooks and splitrings. Might want to consider that as well.

I figured that my 8 foot heavy, fast tip might do the job but I havent had it on the water yet... I wish it was an extra heavy but at the same time I got the heavy instead because I wanted to use it for multiple applications.

I throw both of those rods. IMO... the 8' Heavy doesn't quite have what it takes to throw the Mag Dawgs. Will it do it? Yes. Best tool for the job? Probably not. My 8' XH on the other hand handles them much better. Give the 8' Heavy a shot but you'll see how the rod loads a bit too much to make this effortless.

Thanks for all the info.. .went out and purchased a 8' exta heavy, fast tip last night. I had them throw on 10 ounces to get a feel for the action. It will make a big differnce using this rod.

I wasnt going to risk it. 6 15 hour days on the water with the wrong gear wouldnt be fun. Plus, if I get into a big fish I dont want to lose it.

I also picked up some of those new musky Tubes, like 4-6 ounces as well. I have a good feeling about some of these soft plastics we are bringing up this year.