• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I Think We Know This Guy? Flathead State Rec. Here We Come.

Shack

Or I have at least run into the capt. of this boat. No KOTC signage, but I know this boat grin Some big ones are being caught this year and the big 70 is getting closer. I figure since it was in the paper I would bring it here. I know that boat grin

Today's trophy tale: That's one fat cat

Last update: July 8, 2009 - 1:29 AM

Brian North

"My friend Don Schmidt of St. Paul Park and I were fishing for catfish on the Mississippi River near Hastings when this huge flathead catfish hit," said Brian North of Woodbury after catching a 68-pound flathead catfish.

" I fought it about 10 minutes, and it took both of us to lift it into the boat.

"The state record is a 70-pounder caught in 1970 on the St. Croix River.

"This fish weighed approximately 68 pounds, based on its measurements: It was 47.5 inches long with a 34-inch girth. I didn't realize at the time that it was close to the state record.

"It was a thrill. "

My biggest previous cat was a 44-pounder. We always catch and release, and we released this one, too.''

1fish0708.1.jpg

I will pass on the gill hold comments whistle and give the guy props on a great fish grin. A big kudo's on the CPR also wink You know this fish is still swimming.

Here’s another shot:

1245757622_Flathead.jpg

This one measured 47.5 x 34. It bottomed out a 50 lb scale. We looked at various charts and formulas and guess she weighed from the high 50's to the mid 60's. It was caught on Pool 3.

I guess they went on the high side as far as weight goes

Sure is a beaut!

That fish looks huge. Congrats to that guy.

Not to ruin the moment but it is rumored that a few dumbsh*ts hooked into a 55lbr down by Fairfax, MN and they took it home to eat. Another monster kept that should have been released.

Not to ruin the moment but it is rumored that a few dumbsh*ts hooked into a 55lbr down by Fairfax, MN and they took it home to eat. Another monster kept that should have been released.

Well at 55#s, it should keep the bass turds full enough that they won't have to harvest another one for a while. grin

That's alot of sandwiches......!!!

Nothing like a little nervous twitching from the mercury and PCB's accumulated in a fish that old.

PCB.....PBJ.....PBR......it all sounds delicious. But one of these three is not as good as the others.

I wouldn't doubt if someone kept a 55# fish around here. I am not saying they were from Iowa or that there is anything wrong with them being from Iowa but there is alot of guys coming up here and taking limits home. Seems sensless but I guess it is their right to do so. I will stick to cpr!

WOW do you KTOC guys realize what jump in points that one would give a guy time to start hunting for that one or its Mother grin That is an awsome fish anyone up for fishin p3 this weekend? grin

That is one nice flathead guys, congrats.

I wouldn't doubt if someone kept a 55# fish around here. I am not saying they were from Iowa or that there is anything wrong with them being from Iowa but there is alot of guys coming up here and taking limits home. Seems sensless but I guess it is their right to do so. I will stick to cpr!

I know what you speak of RBS, in the springtime I'll run out of Franklin and fish out of there. I have seen, on more than one occasion, at the access fellows south of here come up and take home many pounds of fish of all sizes.