• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Stolen fishing gear

harvey lee

Lock everything!

I was at a lake this past week and 2 older fellows were trying to load the boat and it looked like they were having trouble, so I asked them if they needed some help. Long story short, someone stole the winch off the trailer. I just got done going through my trailer. Put a little weld on every bolt that secures anything with value.

Yes, it will be a pain in the butt to remove anything if needed but at least I know they will have to struggle to get anything and at that point I would hope that they will cause enough of a ruckus to draw some attention.

Document, document, document....check insurance coverages, then always keep everything locked up.

You bring up an important point Chuck about documentation.

I'm now keeping all my receipts and keeping them in a book strictly for fishing tackle & gear. Anything related to my boat goes in a different book. Some guys take the time to lay everything out and photograph it. Keep an inventory, save receipts, take photos, etc, etc.

And Insurance, check to see if you are covered and if not, get yourself covered.

I was working on my truck most of the afternoon, I live in a good part of Phoenix, but because it is 110 outside, i did not want to do the work on the drive so i did it in the garage. Problem is that my garage door open, now gives every b u t t head the chance to see my quads sitting there on the trailer, my snap on tool box sitting there and everything else that is in the garage. I have gone as far as to cable the quad trailer to the truck or car when leaving for a weekend to make them work for it. Sorry to hear about your loss, i only wish they could meet mrs smith and wesson.

I not only have all of my reciepts but I have a pic of every rod, reel and all tackle, I also have a photo of my electronics and trolling motor.

Great advice Harvey. I will have to get out the camera and take pics of all my equipment to include the serial numbers on the electronics and whats in all of my tackle box's and all of my winter gear. Right now I can't afford to be replacing any of my hard earned gear.

Another one of "these" stories. I cannot help but think

it was a little careless at the very least. Really,

a tarp between the bad guys and your high-end toys??

An expensive lesson no doubt and I'm sure it stinks.

As others have pointed out, nothing is in my boat when it is

ever possible. This includes on the lift,in the driveway,

and even at the repair shop (lost a cheap locator/CD's

that way once) Photographing and documenting your stuff,

is a good step, but prevention is KEY.

Don't even get me started with those pretty, glass-cased

gun racks. It's enough to get someone killed..Really!!

Originally Posted By: harvey lee
I not only have all of my reciepts but I have a pic of every rod, reel and all tackle, I also have a photo of my electronics and trolling motor.

Great advice Harvey. I will have to get out the camera and take pics of all my equipment to include the serial numbers on the electronics and whats in all of my tackle box's and all of my winter gear. Right now I can't afford to be replacing any of my hard earned gear.

My insurance rep explained to me do record everything I could in regards to records and have pics to prove I owned all I said I did. Then there is not going to be an issue.

Years ago my father had his boat stolen with all of his gear in the boat in northern Minnesota at a campground. He said trying to remember what you had in every tackle box was impossible.

You're right Harvey, trying to remember is tough. Me and my bro now take pics of all our plano boxes opened up about every other year. It is kinda obscene/embarassing though, hehe, to see all the [PoorWordUsage] we have, and for how many pics it takes to get it all. smile But then you both have something to help you remember, and also proof if needed.

A few hundred crank baits adds up... yep, I told you it was obscence wink ha!

Originally Posted By: ChuckN
Document, document, document....check insurance coverages, then always keep everything locked up.

You bring up an important point Chuck about documentation.

I'm now keeping all my receipts and keeping them in a book strictly for fishing tackle & gear. Anything related to my boat goes in a different book. Some guys take the time to lay everything out and photograph it. Keep an inventory, save receipts, take photos, etc, etc.

And Insurance, check to see if you are covered and if not, get yourself covered.

Just dont let the wife find it! smile

For many, they need to check their boat insurance. One might be suprised how little the boat coverage is for contents in the boat. I purchased a rider for the contents so I would be covered well enough just in case.

Once many years ago,30 or so, my older brother capsized my boat (F7 alumacraft)at the time,all the gear went to the bottom of Trout lake,just north of Vermilion via truck portage.(I know run on sentences)Anywho,the gear ended up in 100 feet+ water and needless to say the stuff still sits there to this day.Even with good insurance without pictures/inventory of ALL items you will NEVER get the insurance company to reimburse for the losses.Take clear pictures and inventory your items meticulously if you happen to loose them or fire or thieves.c63