• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Stolen fishing gear

harvey lee

I have a friend that was robbed last night or very early this am. His boat was in the driveway tarped and they opened a corner of the tarp, crawled in and took many items.

If you hear of anyone trying to unload these items, please send me an e-mail.

3-Lowrance HDS units without the power cords or transducers as they cut all the cords.

12 St Croix Tournament rods and reels

2 Boxes of crankbaits plus numerous other items.

Please e-mail me if you hear anything.

[email protected]

Thank you.

I had the same thing happen to me about 10 years ago. Same situation. Insurance helped somewhat but I could not provide reciepts for much. I figured I was out about $4000.00 w/rods and tackle alone. Insurance covered about 1/4 of it. That sucks and I can surely empathize with this!!!!

Its gonna be pretty hard to unload the electronics with no ducer or power cords. People these days.

Unfortunately there's A BUNCH of units like that on the on-line auction sites. Plus you can buy replacement power cords and transducers for not too much money. Sorry to hear about your friend, Tom.

im starting to get sick of heraing stories like this. Must be the economy, but I havent been so concerned with theft in my entire life. In fact I dont even leave an empty pack of smokes visable in my truck for fear of someone breaking a window hoping there are some in it.

2nd that fort nox thing while im at home! when im camping everything has a hardend padlock or something that makes a hassle to take. sorry bout those people taking your stuff! if i would have to guess it would be gang bangers lookin for drug money

Bottom line is it doesn't matter where you live anymore, your driveway is not a safe place to leave things of value.

I had my pickup broken into in my (actually my grandparents) driveway once, learned a valuable lesson, and have since quit leaving anything of value in it. Since it wasn't my property, and the nature of the items stolen, insurance was useless.

I'm sorry but no way in heck am I leaving 3 new HDS Lowrance units in my boat in the driveway. No way!! And 12 high end Croix rods just laying in the boat? Are you kidding me. I don't care if the cover was on or not. Depending on the size of the Lowrances, this loss is upwards of 6 or 7 thousand dollars.

Closer to $10,000 in total loss. The boat was in the driveway within 20ft of the house all tarped up. 30 yards off the street right next to the house and garage. One cannot guard everything all night long. Yard light was on also.

Where else should one park it Chris?

If ya can't park it in the garage take the gear out of the rig and bring it into the house or garage. Seems simple enough to me. No way I leave anything outside like that.

That kind of gear left out with just a tarp/cover is asking for trouble, as in a knife blade to cut it open or lift a corner. Arlington or Brooklyn......doesn't matter anymore. I feel for the guy but it's life, and in this case was preventable.

yes its preventable, but its ridiculous that people need to go that out of their way to keep low lifes from getting their stuff. i dont know how people can do that stuff without feeling like [PoorWordUsage], its hard to believe but some of these people may be our friends or family. i just cant get by the fact that "normal" people do this [PoorWordUsage].

anyways sorry to hear about his loss

I don't live in a bad area but the first thing I do when I get home from fishing is take the bow and dash sonar/gps units off and bring them and my tackle box inside. The trolling motors are locked to the boat and the rod locker is locked. I feel for you on the loss and it stinks that this is how it is.

I wish we had a law like in Texas where if you see someone taking your stuff you can shoot em dead. After a few dead crooks hit the news there would be much less theft.

that wouldnt be a bad idea at all. a lot of people around here wouldnt support it though. i would be for it as crime is getting bad..you have to be sure they are stealing stuff though

that wouldnt be a bad idea at all. a lot of people around here wouldnt support it though. i would be for it as crime is getting bad..you have to be sure they are stealing stuff though

Yep that is the problem everyone thinks a slap on the wrist is gonna help.

Dogs help, but even with dogs, the darn crooks will sue you if they get bit... and WIN!

Stinks to hear this happened. Lesson is if it is value you need to lock it up in garage, and then it isn't totally safe, but much safer.

I hope they find the crooks fencing it, and that they catch those selling it AND BUYING it! Buying hot stuff is as bad as stealing it, in my book.

I am fan of a sort of three strikes law. First might be stupidity that will only happen once, give them a chance. Second one should be more than a slap, but not life. Third one, see you later, like forever later. But we need judges with some guts... Career criminals are the problem.

It only takes one bad experience to change your way of thinking. Heck I won’t even keep my creek chub pole in my truck at the boat landings when I’m out fishing.

My wife would love me to keep my boat in the driveway to free up garage space. No thanks. I don’t want to have to lug everything in, however if that is the only space I had, you bet I would bring everything in every night.

Fort Knox will never be fool proof but it ups your odds substantially. Theft is a crime of opportunity.

$10,000 huh? Man that hurts mad

Boat in the driveway, boat in the garage, parked right next to your bedroom window....I could go on and on, but if a crook wants it they will get it.

No matter if my boat is parked outside or on a boat lift, I take everything of value I can out of it each and every day.

Yes, it's unfortunate to go to these measures, but thefts of outdoor equipment is exploding lately. We all need to pay close attention to details, and take the extra effort to avoid being a victim.

Document, document, document....check insurance coverages, then always keep everything locked up.

Originally Posted By: Burnham

Yep that is the problem everyone thinks a slap on the wrist is gonna help.

Seriously folks... advocating murder... wow.

If it is valuable to you, lock it up and treat it like it is valuable. A little common sense goes a long way.

i dont think of it as advocating murder, just as self defense, and more so protecting ones property. i did state i would support it but i am more on the fence, because one could mistake teenagers playing a prank on a buddy as theft(because every teenager tp's there friends and such). but i think that we are just slapping these people on the wrist. we need more consequences for these people.