• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

bait for smallies

roughfish29

Topwater! Pretty much the same lures for largies will work for smallies.

I'd stick to more of a crayfish or minnow type presentations. Although, never tossed a 10" worm for smallies. Hmm

Lures used for Smallmouth bass fishing should be downsized versions of those used for Largemouth Bass, to accomodate their smaller mouths. A variety of crankbaits, spinnerbaits, soft plastics, topwaters, soft baits and jigs can be effective. spinner baits and jigs Size ranging from 1/8 oz - 1/2 oz are the best.

plastics from 4-6" long are ideal for smallie fishing

the base of a smallies diet is crawfish and minnows

so be sure you match your color and presentation to match the behavior of fleeing crawfish or minnows.

smallies are known for being able to come up from deep water and slam topwaters. so topwaters are also a good choice.

you also want to match your color and presentation to the type of cover in the area, and the water quality. in clearer water, more natural colors are best. while in murkier water, bright, or dark colors really shine.

if the smallies are around rocks, crawfish are a very probable food source, so i would start with a crawfish type lure and presentation.

tubes are very effective with smallies, they will imitate a crawfish or a minnow depending on the color, and where you present it in the water column.

also, if you fly fish, bring your fly rod, smallies go crazy for clousers, crawfish flies, and poppers.

tight lines

I do not downsize my lures for smallmouth. I see smallmouth inhale 1/2oz spinnerbaits, big cranks, buzzers, and 3/8oz flipping jigs pretty regularly. Some of my best days have been flipping reeds and shallow wood for smallmouth using "largemouth" baits. But, I also throw some pretty small baits for both largemouth and smallmouth.

Don't use size as a rule when it comes to smallmouth. EBass's advice on imitating minnows and crayfish is good - but you're generally doing the same when fishing largemouth.

Ask the guys that fish minnows for smallmouth on Vermilion, Rainy, and LOW how big a minnow they use. 5 inch redtails are a nice size for smallmouth.

i am no smallie expert, but my faves are a popper, 1/8-1/4 oz. chartruce spinnerbait, 1/4 inline spinner, plastic craw(texas rigged or plain jighead) a tube, a 3" grub, a 3-4" jerkbait. if you have alot of rocks, a rebel crawfish can be a great lure if you can get it down.

I do not downsize my lures for smallmouth. I see smallmouth inhale 1/2oz spinnerbaits, big cranks, buzzers, and 3/8oz flipping jigs pretty regularly.

My dad was pitching around some hefty 10'' soft plastic lure(NOT a skinny lure) when we were out one day this past june and ended up having a 19 inch smally pound it. I don't know what it was thinking, there was no way it could have actually eaten the whole thing.

I think that the main thing to catch smallies is to get them curious enough to feel your bait with their mouth... I don't think that many of the strikes are form fish looking to get a meal to eat... They are also a real sucker for the cat-and-mouse game... They will hit almost anything, but I really enjoy catching them on a drop shot and a big spinnerbait... not to mantion the topwater..

Smallies and Largies will investigate things up to %75 of there length. This comes from berkeley research, so a 19" smallie will bite on something up to 14" long. I think your safe using most of the stuff you use for largies, I am like Ray I generally don't change much, Normal size jigs 4-5" tubes, 5 and 6" senkos, 5" grubs.... you get the idea

Agreed, go big! If the bite doesn't happen start downsizing. I think we often are afraid fish won't go after bigger prey but they do either cause they're hungry, defensive or curious, either way it works. The only exception I've found is when the fish are negative (usually due to weather) then smaller seems to bring in a few more fish.