Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Leaky

Here Comes The Fat Tax

527 posts in this topic

This article appeared in the Wall Street Journal. I guess they figured they can't get anymore out of the smokers. Seeing this would only pay for a fraction of the Health Care plan, you can bet that if this is passed, it'll followed by a calvacade of taxes on fast food, dairy products, candy, ect., ect. Yikes!

Check out the quote in bold. I never realized soda was part of the food supply.

Soda Tax Weighed to Pay for Health Care

Senate leaders are considering new federal taxes on soda and other sugary drinks to help pay for an overhaul of the nation's health-care system.

The taxes would pay for only a fraction of the cost to expand health-insurance coverage to all Americans and would face strong opposition from the beverage industry. They also could spark a backlash from consumers who would have to pay several cents more for a soft drink.

On Tuesday, the Senate Finance Committee is set to hear proposals from about a dozen experts about how to pay for the comprehensive health-care overhaul that President Barack Obama wants to enact this year. Early estimates put the cost of the plan at around $1.2 trillion. The administration has so far only earmarked funds for about half of that amount.

The Center for Science in the Public Interest, a Washington-based watchdog group that pressures food companies to make healthier products, plans to propose a federal excise tax on soda, certain fruit drinks, energy drinks, sports drinks and ready-to-drink teas. It would not include most diet beverages. Excise taxes are levied on goods and manufacturers typically pass them on to consumers.

Senior staff members for some Democratic senators at the center of the effort to craft health-care legislation are weighing the idea behind closed doors, Senate aides said.

The Congressional Budget Office, which is providing lawmakers with cost estimates for each potential change in the health overhaul, included the option in a broad report on health-system financing in December. The office estimated that adding a tax of three cents per 12-ounce serving to these types of sweetened drinks would generate $24 billion over the next four years. So far, lawmakers have not indicated how big a tax they are considering.

Proponents of the tax cite research showing that consuming sugar-sweetened drinks can lead to obesity, diabetes and other ailments. They say the tax would lower consumption, reduce health problems and save medical costs. At least a dozen states already have some type of taxes on sugary beverages, said Michael Jacobson, executive director of the Center for Science in the Public Interest.

"Soda is clearly one of the most harmful products in the food supply, and it's something government should discourage the consumption of," Mr. Jacobson said..

I think we need to find a way to finance our health care system other than adding a ton of taxes on the people.

I can pay my health care fees now or get it from the goverment and pay more taxes.

I'll stay with what I have, thank you.

That's going to cost me an extra $33 a year for my Coke habit.

I'll just stock up more during the summer mega-sales, that should make up for it.

Duffman......body by corn syrup. wink

Duff, I hear ya, but $33.00 this year, $40.00 next, $50.00 next.............................

Before ya know it your coke (pop) habit will be the cause of all the country's health care problems and you'll be shunned to drinking your coke in your garage. smile

You had me really scared there for a minute Leaky. When I read this:

Here Comes The Fat Tax

I thought I was in trouble until I read that it wasn't a tax for actually being fat grin

I would agree this is a dumb one. It appears I am safe though, I drink diet pop. laugh

This just keeps getting better doesn't it?

Oh well, everyone wanted change. Where did you think money was going to come from for everything he wanted. You can't just start new programs and give everyone food, healthcare, a car, house, etc and not raise taxes?

Change - It's all you'll have left when these jokers are done.

This is just the start.

You really think diet pop is going to be exempt for long?

Remember a while ago New Jersey was considering an extra sales tax on fast food.

Publicly financed health care will lead to more behavior modification efforts by the government. It has to. Because if the public is paying for health care, the public is justified in punishing 'bad behavior' like drinking Mountain Dew and eating fast food.

It will also justify public review of health care records. The calls for transparency and oversight will - and should - be no less insistent on a health care system than they were on the bailout money.

And such calls for public oversight and review of our health care records will be justified if the public is financing health care.

This is my main objection to public health care. I don't want to give the government the justification to further engage in behavior modification or further invade our privacy.

life in these here united stated seem to be getting more and more based on ... gimmee gimmee gimmee, i can't do it on my own so since you can you gotta help me too, even though you have to give some things up. thanks, now that i have it i'll just make sure i can't ever get it on my own so i'm set. by the way, gimmee gimmee gimmee, theres something else i need i can't get on my own... on and on and on. it's getting to the point where it's just not profitable anymore to keep working.

heck, i could pay a house payment on a decent house every month just with my INCOME taxes that are with held let alone every other consumer tax added to it. there is something i could use... gimme gimmee gimmee ...a break?

the really sad part is it will just keep getting worse untill it actually get's to the point where it just doesn't make fiscal sense to work anymore. then what? serf tax?

Man, what a painful tax. Every time I drink a can, I'll think of those three poor pennies that didn't have the pleasure of laying on the floor of my car.

Quote:
Man, what a painful tax. Every time I drink a can, I'll think of those three poor pennies that didn't have the pleasure of laying on the floor of my car.

I'd be more than happy to take 1 those 3 pennies for every can of pop purchased. I'll then form a non profit dedicated to traveling around the country educating children on the evils of drinking soda. It'll create jobs for my team and of course I'll need to be paid handsomely for my efforts to lead the great fight, including a jet to get around, 4 star hotels to stay in, and a luxuary car rental in every city.

Seeing I don't drink pop, nor does anyone in my family, and I understand that it's really not that good for you, I should be perfectly qualifed for the job.

I'll tell ya what, feel free to pay the 3 cents now. Next week it will be 5 cents on fast food per item, week after 10 cents on bacon and other pork products, then 25 cents on oil to fry food in. Keeps going. Ever heard of being nickel and dimed to death? There ya go.

Originally Posted By: pondhopper

I'll tell ya what, feel free to pay the 3 cents now. Next week it will be 5 cents on fast food per item, week after 10 cents on bacon and other pork products, then 25 cents on oil to fry food in. Keeps going. Ever heard of being nickel and dimed to death? There ya go.

Yeah. And then we'll add .00375% to our sales tax. Oh wait!! We've done that already.

Edit: Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

And I will say "thank you" to you next time I am walking through the north woods that do NOT have "No Trespassing" signs sprouting up all over. smile

These are two different things in my book, but since I can't read... wink

Right now, I think about .32 to .40 cents of every dollar you make goes to taxes in one form or the other.

When does it stop? is 50% of your dollar ok? 60%?

Enough is enough.

Personally I believe all processed foods should be taxed heavily. Our self victimization and mindless poisoning through products put out by the industrial food complex is a big cost to society. I don't want to pay for your families diabetes and Alzheimers.

I kind of thought it was already double.....triple.....quadruple taxed?

Quote:
Good thing DC is filled with like minded individuals
wink

Quote:
Personally I believe all processed foods should be taxed heavily. Our self victimization and mindless poisoning through products put out by the industrial food complex is a big cost to society. I don't want to pay for your families diabetes and Alzheimers.

When was it determined that processed foods would lead to Alzheimers? Dang am I out of the loop.

Maybe you can be the first to determine that Leaky. It has been 'shown' that antioxidents found in fresh fruits and vegetables can promote brain health and possibly prevent the onset of Alzheimers. Processed foods are greatly lacking in many areas of nutrition, awesome source for flavor and calories though...

Shoot.........I knew I shouldn't have had that grilled cheese (Valveeta) sandwich for lunch today. smile

When was it determined that processed foods would lead to Alzheimers? Dang am I out of the loop.

Maybe you're out of the loop, maybe not. Could be you knew that last week but have now forgotten? Too much processed food and the memory goes. grin

Well, look at the bright side, next Easter you can hide your own eggs. LOL

Shoot.........I knew I shouldn't have had that grilled cheese (Valveeta) sandwich for lunch today. smile

Not to worry Leaky....

Just chug a can of V8 and you're covered for the day - eat all the Velveeta and WonderBread sammiches you can choke back! Eat your Cheerios for breakfast and you have the heart thing taken care of.

Tonight I'm going to grill up some chicken and slobber a bit of barbecue sauce on it to finish it. I figure the sauce has some anti-oxidents in it!

I think i read once where beer has antioxidants.

So I'll slug myself down a six pack and i'm good to go