• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Who's ever tried quitting(smoking)???

Jim Uran

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good job Elwood. No one will kid you it will be hard, the physical cravings will end soon enough, after that its all mental.

Drink extra water, don't know if any merit behind it, but I just believed in the whole extra fluids to flush it all out of the system.

Good luck man

thanks guys as I said I'm doing it cold turkey and to me the first is the worst and you guys should of heard me today. It went something like this most of the day saying this out loud too. self: I want a smoke, smoke free self:NO YOU DON'T grin

seamed to work I havent had one yet and feeling pretty darn good its just another 24 hours

I'm just hit the two month mark and continue to have urges every day. Each day a little better than the last though.

Good luck to you though! You can do it, you just have to stay strong! Don't make excuses for yourself down the line and keep taking it a day at a time. The only thing that really makes it better is time.

Once you do quit you should NEVER EVER take another drag or chew because just a taste will get you hooked again. It has been about 10 1/2 years and the smell of a cig or cigar always smells great but I know that one taste and I would be hooked again. I learned the hard way and quit for 2 years and decided to have 1 cigar which lead to 1 cig which lead to 1 pack and it took another 5 years before I was able to quit for good.

Nicotine is a VERY ADDICTIVE drug.

Good luck to all that try and it will get easier to live without but the urge may never go away.

This post is so true! It took me 2 failed attempts to realize that no matter what I think or how confident I feel, I can never have another drag off a smoke again if I really want to stay a non-smoker.

I quit for 10.5 years, started smoking again in Feb 09. One of my poorer decisions, now I'm having a hard time trying to quit again, and I have been taking meds for asthma for almost 12 years. Gotten a lot worse since I took up the habit again.

January 24th will be 1 year for me.Lucky none of the other guys i work with smoke.The only time i miss them is when my nose goes up in the air like a coonhound smelling a cig at the gas station or when going in the store.Looks like it may take a couple years before they stop smelling so good.

Looks like it may take a couple years before they stop smelling so good.

Trust me

Right time right place they will smell good. I quit July 5 1999 and there are times they will smell awesome so just enjoy the smell BUT DO NOT LIGHT UP-Just enjoy the smell and pretty soon it will smell like [PoorWordUsage] or at least it will annoy you to the point were you leave the area.

I'm on month number 5 and I feel great. No more going outside and having a smoke in this terrible weather, no more stinking up my vehicles, and I don't stink anymore. I'm sure my kids appreciate it. I think the first week is hell.. after that it was a craving here and there, they slowly diminished and each one took less time to get over with. I still get them but they sure are don't last long.

Congrat WFW!! You too Elwood, stick with it and kick the habit. I've saved a ton of money over the last 5 months. It feels good.

I used the approach from the movie "What about Bob".....baby steps people...one day at a time. I never thought about next week or next month. I just focused on getting through the day...and always had a reserve on hand of fake chew, Jolly Ranchers and gum (a pack of gum a day for the first week).

Leech --- great job -- it looks like your post had a lot to do with people wanting to quit and taking that step -- I've found myself using this thread as somewhat of a support system...I check it everyday to read success stories...everyone's advice and support has been trememdous.

For those wanting to quit or those that did quit but started up again --- do yourself a favor and re-read this thread...maybe even make a list of pro's and con's of quitting...take that step! You won't regret it.

I quit smoking using Chantix. Best thing ever. I didn't want to quit but knew I had to quit. Unwillingly began taking the pills. It was an amazing change, as in just a few days I wanted to quit. It took two attempts. I highly recommend to anyone that is considering quitting.

first time ever that I woke up and didnt want a smoke. I know that I wanna quit and I'm tring really hard to accept the fact that I quit. I love playing mind game with myself laugh

I told the wife that if I quit smoking I'm getting a new boat so if you come home and theres a new boat in the driveway you know I quit. from what I figured I would save enough a year to buy a new boat (thats payments that I would make) now to find the money to get that new boat. gotta have goals right wink

BTW thanks for the support guys and anyone trying to quit or in the process of quitting I'll say a little prayer for ya and keep going it getts easier with time

Well I made it thru the weekend and still not smoking it was a tough deal being in the spear shack watching nothing and wanting a smoke but kept telling myself You can always have one tomarrow just not today and it worked

Hang in guy....I quit in "97" definitely one of the better decisions I ever made. I used the patch for 6 weeks and chewed gum like a mad man, but 12 years later I am not smoking. Good luck and do whatcha gotta do to stay off them them dang things.