• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Who's ever tried quitting(smoking)???

Jim Uran

One other thing that helped me is when I thought I needed a smoke and someone else was smoking I would just wiff in one good lung full of second hand smoke and that would knock the craving out. I am not sure if that was cheating or not but it worked. lol

That's hilarious, my brother and I were fishing the other night and he was asking if it would bother me if he smoked and I said of course not, I just have to get used to it. But boy did they smell good, I got a good nose full and that was good enough for me. so NO that wasn't cheating wink

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I quit smoking about 10 years ago. I still get craving every now and then, but they only last a couple minutes then they are gone. You do need a strong will to quit, that's for sure! Just never let yourself have the first one. Another thing I did was saved the money that I would have spent on smokes every month, and made a plan to spend it on something I wanted, that I wouldn't have bought myself. Such as, a new fishing pole, a gun, a weekend at a resort, then you always have something to look forward to as long as you aren't smoking. So you can tell yourself, if I make it to the first of the month, I can buy a new fishing pole, then after you buy that, think of what you want next month, so you have another item you want that will keep you from smoking for another month. This is also a good way to buy yourself stuff and get away with it if your married.

This trick no longer works with the wife to get new stuff after 10 years of quiting. But I did have a good run for about 5 years or so wink

My problem is, the savings wouldn't really be much of an incentive for me. Due to me being incredibly thrifty, (my wife uses the term tight), I've always been able to find smokes at cheap prices. At one time, I was ordering them from a foreign country for about $12 per carton. I had to stop that when a carton was seized by the U.S. border patrol and they sent me a threatening letter.

After that, I started buying from an Indian reservation in New York for about $15 per carton. I eventually started rolling them myself for about $9 per carton. Now that the tax has been added, even rolling your own tobacco has doubled in price. The week before the increase, I stocked up with about 9 months worth of tobacco and tubes. I just received an email from a tobacco company that has managed to offer a cig. tobacco in a pipe cut. Pipe tobacco hardly increased in price, so now with them labeling this as pipe tobacco but usable in cigarette injectors, I can start rolling again for less than $10. These companies are just plain evil. mad

What will do it for me eventually, is when I get fed up with news of friends' relatives suffering from emphysema or dying from lung cancer. I just got an email from a friend a couple weeks ago who's step dad died from bladder cancer. His last 5 years he suffered enormously from emphysema. I then found out that smoking can contribute to bladder cancer. Of course, this guy was a smoker.

Ok, I should add to this, the reason that made me decide to quit was my mom died of cancer. I watched her die slowly for 3 years, and I never wanted to have my family go through that with me.

Ok, I should add to this, the reason that made me decide to quit was my mom died of cancer. I watched her die slowly for 3 years, and I never wanted to have my family go through that with me.

I'm sorry to hear that. However, it's testimonials like this that will eventually do it for me.

I just hope this thread keeps going until I run out of tobacco.

For your sake, and others I hope it does too. I started this thread as a tool to help myself quit, and it helped reading other peoples testimonials. It's easy for me to say, you can quit man just throw all of that tobacco in a fire somewhere and say the hell with it. But I was a smoker for quite a few years, and I know I used every excuse in the book NOT to quit.

Just don't wait until it's too late!

Nicotine is an evil drug! You can see just how bad it is by reading this thread. I mean... look at all of the senseless justification people have to continue to smoke! I am soooo glad I was able to get off the junk.

It really isn't as scary as we smokers make it out to be when we quit. Life keeps on rollin along and you feel SOOOOOOO much better too.

Throw the S.O.B's away!!!!!!!!! Quit giving hard-earned money to a bunch of murdering crooks for an addiction you don't need!!!!!!!

Ok, I'm done! grin

Here`s another thing that works.If your around a buddy that smokes and its driving ya nuts.....Just say give me a puff...then take a wiff of the lit end...right up the nose.Makes ya gag and plays the mind game right back at your mind.It worked for me the first time i quit for 3 years.

Ooops, haven't posted on this for a while! Yes I am thank you, no smoking for 3 weeks now, I just don't think about smoking everyday anymore so I forgot to keep an eye on this post. I feel a lot better. I tell ya, that first week was "hell". It's insane how bad the cravings get but if you keep reminding yourself why you are quitting, and chew some sugarless gum and sunflower seeds it really helps. After the first week the cravings go way down, there are times where I reach for smokes that aren't in my pocket, or get a craving now and than, but it's way easier now.

I hope anyone giving it a shot does well!! And re-read some of these posts in here, it helped me a lot.

That'ta boy! Nice work!

I'm pretty much convinced we (ex-smokers) will always have an urge. It's just a matter of saying no to it and doing something else. It only gets easier everyday!

Bruledrifter you hit the nail square on the head grin

Keep up the good work Leechbait. Just think of all the money you have saved cause by now it must be a couple hundred bucks.

It's got to be pushing $250.00! More money for diapers, baby food, jigs, minnows, a couple dozen arrows, and more to come!!! Plus I've been walking a mile everyday, twice a day. I now have to work on eating healthier! That't next!

I quit alot of years ago and I don't EVER have the urge to take a puff. My wife smokes and I've been trying to get her to quit for years. She can't smoke in the vehicles, or the house....well, the basement when it's to nasty to go outside.

I smoked maybe a pack to 1 1/2 packs a day....the 1/2 pack extra kicked in when I had a few beers. Comparitively speaking, from some of the people I know, wifey included that wasn't alot....maybe I didn't have the bug as bad as others?

I started smoking sporadically when I was 12-13 years old, quit when I was about 30. Us neighborhood kids used to roll up and smoke brown cornsilk that we would get from the farmers market. That should have cured us right there!

Originally Posted By: BRULEDRIFTER
That'ta boy! Nice work!

I'm pretty much convinced we (ex-smokers) will always have an urge. It's just a matter of saying no to it and doing something else. It only gets easier everyday!

Bruledrifter you hit the nail square on the head grin

Keep up the good work Leechbait. Just think of all the money you have saved cause by now it must be a couple hundred bucks.

I quit about 12 years ago and the thought of having a cigarette hits every now and then. Biggest thing is to not allow the thought to stay there. Remind yourself how stupid that thought really is.

I'm on my 3rd day and I'm pretty surprised I made it this far. I've been tempted to try some nicotine gum or something to fill the void because some of these cravings are tough. But it still feels awesome that I'm finally doing it!!!!!!

How are you doing on the not smoking?I have not touched one since the last week of january.Cold turkey.

my problem is not smoking but chewing. i have chewed for 30 yrs quit cold turkey for 3 years then one day just bought a can and started again. i have tried gum, hard candy etc but just cant do it. wish they would come up with a way to do it. any suggestions are appreciated if anyone has quit

Have you tried Nicorette gum ? They make it in 2 different strengths and is you sucked on it would release the nicotine more slowly and might just relieve those cravings. My dad always said that it was harder to quit chew then cigs but he did not want to smoke because smell. He never noticed that his breath was like the south end of a north bound horse winkgrin

my problem is not smoking but chewing. i have chewed for 30 yrs quit cold turkey for 3 years then one day just bought a can and started again. i have tried gum, hard candy etc but just cant do it. wish they would come up with a way to do it. any suggestions are appreciated if anyone has quit

jeffreyd, have you tried the shredded jerky chew? I quit in January after 25 years of chewing. I still put in a chew of jerky first thing in the morning with a dew...lol. I also chew trident gum. I went through 4 boxes of nicotine gum and many cans of jerky chew. Good luck with it.

Originally Posted By: jeffreyd

jeffreyd, have you tried the shredded jerky chew? I quit in January after 25 years of chewing. I still put in a chew of jerky first thing in the morning with a dew...lol. I also chew trident gum. I went through 4 boxes of nicotine gum and many cans of jerky chew. Good luck with it.

I gave up chewing 21 weeks ago and although it was a struggle (and still is) I feel like this time it is going to stick. I used the Commit Lozenges this time (4mg) and Golden Eagle Herbal Chew (google that and you'll find it). It tastes the same, packs the same, spits the same but it's all natural. I chewed a can a day for 10+ years and this method has worked. I would wake up in the morning, pop in a Commit while I went through my normal routine, then I would put in a Golden Eagle and go about my business. The true test will be when I get to CO for elk season......that's where the wheels have fallen off in the past.

You know i kicked copenhagen cold turkey but was going hunting and stopped for gas when i went in to pay that is when the urge hit again. I bought a can but could not stomach it, did not want to go through the pukes again. So i stopped later and bought a pouch of beechnut. That did it. the sweet taste had me hooked again. I buy a box every 6 weeks or so from the reservation but the fact that it is not good is what is making me want to stop. I tried a few weeks ago went about a day cold turkey but when the next day's stress hit, that was it. The fact that none of the places i shop sell it might help me if i just get rid of it. The place I buy at is about 10 min away and nothing there except the smoke store. So I guess with a bit of will power i will try again. I wish there were more emphasis put on chew as there is on smoking. Thanks for the suggestions, i will give them a try. Jeff