• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Who's ever tried quitting(smoking)???

Jim Uran

I'm on my 3rd day and I'm pretty surprised I made it this far. I've been tempted to try some nicotine gum or something to fill the void because some of these cravings are tough. But it still feels awesome that I'm finally doing it!!!!!!

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't it great!!!!

I am 2 months off the ciggies! I quit on May 3rd and used Chantix, with minimal side effects. I highyly recommend this for anyone trying to quit.

I have, however, cheated a few times, but after 17yrs of poundin cigs, and was up to about a pack and a half for the last 8yrs or so, I have no problem with the few I have had since. I've probably had a total of 4 cigs since I quit, and all but 2 of them were when I was knockin back too many barley pops!

The other 2 were fishing opener right after I quit.

I feel great, and I'm saving money! I love not having that crutch in my life anymore!

Keep goin, Leech! It'll get easier in a few weeks!

I also took Chantix and quit.....I broke the nasty habit of buying smokes last Aug 9 .....it is a tough habit to break but I feel the Chantix gave me enough help to not need to smoke and it broke the cravings for nicotine.......The only side effects I had from Chantix was the real weird vivid dreams and they were kinda fun to wake up and say W T F!!! This is the second time I have quit in my 15 years of smoking. The first time I quit I used Zyban and broke out in hives but quit smoking for a year then I had one and was back to a pack a day!!! Good Luck on your battle leechbait and one thing that I love more than anything is I don't stink anymore, my car doesn't stink anymore and I seem to have a dollar or 2 more to spend on fishing!!!!

Boy I tell you what, the cravings are something else, and the anxiety. Oh man sometimes I just wanna fire up but it's been 3 days and I don't want to have to start all over again. I keep thinking of my 8 month old baby at home, and that is getting me through the cravings. I don't want to even think about having 1 or 2 cancer sticks here and there, that would just get me started again. I quit once for 3 days about 7 years ago and started back up with one here and there and ended back up to the pack a day. Thanks for all the well wishes and it's good to read other peoples experiences!!

I quit cold turkey the first time and stayed off them for 2 years and decided to have a swisher sweet while ice fishing and that was the start of my demise and was soon hooked again. The next time I went the Zyban route and also used Nicorette gum(used the gum the first time)and on the day I planned on quitting I got such bad indigestion that quit taking the Zyban and gum but the drug takes a few days to get out of your system and I was able to quit and it has been 10 years as of July 5th. You must realize that Zyban and Chantrix are antidepressants and will have some side effects. It would make me blow up and get really mad at some very stupid stuff so just be aware that you will not be yourself while under the influence.Good luck and if and when you quit make absolutely sure that you DO NOT USE ANYTHING WITH NICOTINE or you will be hooked again.

Leechbait just keep in mind when you want a cig about the young one at home with the still developing lungs and how much better you will feel when you are around them and you don't have that stale smoke smell to you everytime you pick up the little one and give them a hug......after a while you will notice how strong of an odor smoke is and you can't imagine that you once carried that same smell with you!!

one thing that I love more than anything is I don't stink anymore, my car doesn't stink anymore and I seem to have a dollar or 2 more to spend on fishing!!!!

I've yet to gain the self dicipline to quit,though it is a means to an end... but a couple of extra bucks for fishing would be nice! grin

By the looks of the big fish in your avatar, I would say a couple extra bucks wouldn't hurt laugh !!! Well I'm still staying strong. There must be more folks out there that are tempted to quit or that quit and have some horror stories to tell!!!

By the looks of the big fish in your avatar, I would say a couple extra bucks wouldn't hurt laugh !!! Well I'm still staying strong. There must be more folks out there that are tempted to quit or that quit and have some horror stories to tell!!!

Ha, no it's actually a pretty big fish, just looks small in my hands! whistlewink

I haven't smoked cigs for over 25 years. You can do it, each day from here on out just gets easier and easier. Don't be a slave to tobacco companies that want your money and care nothing for you or your health. What a scandal!

There must be more folks out there that are tempted to quit or that quit and have some horror stories to tell!!!

You don't need to hear the horror stories! The only ones you need to hear are the ones from people dying of cancer, ect. That will keep you goin! YOU DON'T NEED A [badWordUsage] CIG!!!!!!!!!! smile

It really isn't so bad, really! I was scared $4!tless when I was getting ready to quit. I started taking the meds and one day I just didn't smoke anymore. I told myself years ago that as soon as I could go 1 full day without one, I'd never smoke again. Like I said I have cheated, but I can tell by my attitude and how I feel that I will never make it a habit again, or even close to it. Sure, I enjoy and miss smoking, but it isn't worth it, and I know that's the addiction talking.

Chantix was a miracle drug for me, and many others I know personally! It works differently for everyone, just like all drugs. The majority of the people that I have talked to or know had minimal side effects with Chantix. Vivid dreams being the most common thing (I've been off the pills for a few weeks now but I still have had some wickedly vivid dreams.... kinda cool, though).

The benifits are HUGE! My favorite part of being a non-smoker is after a week of being off them, I was able to take HUGE deep breaths and not start coughing afterwards. I love that! Nothing better then being out on a crisp morning and taking it all in without hacking up a lung in the process! The other part I love is just not having that crutch in my life. I don't have to worry about running out of cigs, and I don't have to go to the gas station every single morning to restock for the day and make stupid small talk with the attendants, yada, yada, yada..... It's nice to be free!

I can't wait for hunting seasons! It'll be nice to not have to worry about that stink deer hunting and I'll be able to cover a lot more ground chasin birds!

I haven't smoked a cig in about a decade now. My tip for anyone trying to quit is to buy only the nastiest cigs you can. If you crave a cig, smoke only those nasty cigs. Soon, quitting won't sound so bad.

I quit chewing snuff back in January after 25 years. I chewed 8 boxes of nicoteen gum and chewed alot of jerky chew but I made it. I recently ran out of nicoteen gum and switched to sugarless gum and I have never been a gum chewer. I still have cravings just about every day and especially after meals, but they are getting easier every day. I vowed to buy myself something nice every year with the money I save for some added incentive. I feel great knowing that it doesn't run my life anymore too...lol. Good luck and You CAN do it!!!!

I had smoked since I was 15. I did quit during each of my pregnancies and then had a stretch of about 5 years I didnt have any.

i started up again about 3 years ago and 2 years ago my kids caught me. I had been hiding it from them lol.

Anyway, I quit December 22nd but will admit to having 4 this summer. 2 tasted good, 2 made me wanna hurl.......

Chose to not have anymore again

I need to set my date to quit, I've kept pushing it back. Had quit for about 3 months on Chantix, the pill wiped out the cravings but gave me such bad nausea that I would have rather dealt with cravings than the nausea. One night went to the neighbors and did the ol' "ok I'll just have one" that was it.

My other best success was some time back on the patches, I joked the last time I bought a carton at the price and next to the carton was patches for 1/2 the price that next time I am in I'll buy the patches, but I still haven't

I think it would be tougher to have to pick a day to quit, it was a spur of the moment deal and I'm glad I decided to try it. Another day smoke free for me. This is the start of the 4th day for me.

I haven't smoked a cig in about a decade now. My tip for anyone trying to quit is to buy only the nastiest cigs you can. If you crave a cig, smoke only those nasty cigs. Soon, quitting won't sound so bad.

When I was a kid we used to steal my mom's "True Greens". Absolutely the worst cigarette ever!!! Don't know if they make them anymore though. Probably couldn't get anyone else besides my mom to smoke them!