• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Heater Body Suit - have any of you bowhunters tried this?

BLACKJACK

Question

Some of my deer/bowhunting magazines advertise something called a 'Heater Body Suit'. Basically its a combination insulated coverall/sleeping bag that you wear during cold weather hunts. When the deer approaches, you slip off the top part, grab your bow (or gun) and shoot. Its kind of spendy, close to $300, was wondering if anybody on this forum has tried one? How does the safty strap work? To see more info on it go to their web site (just combine the words 'heater body suit', add www at the front and .com at the end).

3 answers to this question

I picked up one of those a few years ago. I have mixed reactions to it. They are warm and I've stayed out longer than I otherwise would have been able. They are fairly quiet but not as good as fleece or wool and the zipper does add a little noise. If you have a deer within 25 yards you would spook it. Most of the time I don't zip it up all the way, I just tuck into it. You could probably accomplish the same results with an old cloth sleeping bag (which I used b/4 I bought this). I have never had any problems up in a tree with it. It does have a slot for your harness to slip through. The biggest thing I don't like about it is the extra movement to get your arms and shoulders out of it. Overall I would give the product a C+. I guess you have to figure that if you're too cold and have to go in you're not going to get a shot. These will keep you out there. I hunted 2 New Year's eves ago in -20 and I was out basically all day without getting cold. I personally would try a cloth sleeping bag and hop into that to see if that works b/4 spending the bucks on this (unless it's an early X-Mas present). Hope this helps.

Thanks Fivebucks for the reply! Always good to hear from someone that has tried the product vrs listening to the advertising hype! I'm still undecided, its kind of spendy, but I plan on bowhunting for quite a few more years and thought that this might get me out for more late season hunts. May try to add another coverall under my current bibs and parka - could get bulky for shooting. Also would like to see the BodySuit people add a white camo, not just solid white. May try the bowhanger that they advertise...