• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

1987 Johnson Lower unit need to drop out.

mknolls

Have a 1987 40HRS lower unit that went out on a rock on Vermilion. I got a manual on it and I'm in the proses of pulling the lower unit off. I have everything off except This retaining screw and clip, witch I think is the last thing I need to do in order for it to come off. The manual says to remove shift rod retaining screw from shift cam Located in bottom of engine pan. I believe I see the retaining screw with some kind of clip on the end of the shifting shaft under the motor. When I pull this clip what does that Loosen or what happens after I pull it. And does the clip come completely off or just slide out of the way. The book I have really doesn't tell me what to expect after that. Hope some body can give me some advice. Thanks

MK

boatfixer Thank you, got it out and on the ground. Now comes the hard part forking out the money to fix it. Will have to see what the part man says for cost. Thanks again for your help.

P.S I see your from Grand Rapids. Do you every fish Little or Big

Jessie?

MK

I just have to say I got lucky on my 40hrs Johnson. I was not sure that I wanted to put an INS. claim in on it Just for the fact I couldn't reminber my deductible. I called and they said 100 bucks. So I brought in the boat and the lower unit, that I just got done pulling of course. Made a few call. All said and done the dealer found a re manufactured lower unit in Hackensack MN. My coast 150 with a new water pump. I guess this place in Hackensack, MN rebuilds lower units for selling. I will enquirer more about this for the future. To help out others sportsmen and women on this fine forum. Thanks again for all your help.

MK

Actually, The owners name is Mike. Pappy (Tim) started the business and it's in the process of being handed down. I've been dealing with him for several years now and have been encouraging both Tim and now Mike to become a sponsor on FM. I think it would a benefit to all of us. Phred52