• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Goodness gracious, neat fish, but they were such a nuisance last year for us while trying to hook into cats ... kept pulling these buggers out. First few times were cool, after that we started getting sour every time we pulled out Mr. Snaggletooth

Don't get me wrong, they are very cool ancient fish! (We just got sick of em lol) Congrats on catchin it! smile

I wouldnt mind hooking into a few Gar..Any suggestion as to where one could hook a few of the toothy critters from shore.

Pool 2 seems to be pretty slow for Cats--Thought Id go after a few Gar when I get the chance..

Has anyone had luck throwing topwaters for Gar? They were feeding heavy yesterday at a good amount of shallow spots we fished and I thought that could be a good bit of fun. I was thinking some WTD's like the spit n' image or zara spooks and then some floating raps or poppers. Anyone have any luck doing this?

I've caught more gar in the last week than I had previously caught in my lifetime. I didnt have any luck on topwaters but my money lures were rattle traps and floating raps fished right under the surface so that they were still breaking the surface when hitting them sometimes. If you rip the lure through the water hard and then let it fall for a split second before you continue to reel it can often trigger them into biting.

Getting them to bite is the easy part, hooking them is another story. I've tried the topwater with floating Rapalas and they hit it like mad, but tough to get a hook in them.

Go out anywhere on the MN after dark in slackwater and shine a light. You will see plenty of Gar guaranteed.

Getting them to bite is the easy part, hooking them is another story. I've tried the topwater with floating Rapalas and they hit it like mad, but tough to get a hook in them.

Go out anywhere on the MN after dark in slackwater and shine a light. You will see plenty of Gar guaranteed.

do you know of any places by lac qui parle for gar???