• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The mysterious Clonk?

Laska

"The Clonk"

Ok Im sure some of you have heard of the so called catfish caller, which is pretty much a peice a metal with a handle so I think, I was just wonderin your guys thoughts on these things, I heard they work on wells cats but Im not going overseas so, anyone ever use one or whats the deal?

God bless crazy ....I am not bringing any pipe cleaners or toilet brushes with me in the cat boat. 6 pack of barley pop, bait, some hooks, some lead, and a rod. I swear, some of you cat guys are finding a way to make a recreational activity whose enjoyment is nestled in the simplicity of the sport and turn it into a Rube Goldberg machine...rattle bobbers, planer boards, clonks? Whatever trips your trigger I guess. I'm not buying the clonk.

all you need is a big soup laddle they call it spoonin down south but dont think that I'll be tring it any time soon confusedwhistle and I do like the rattleing bobbers and will try almost anything to put the odds in my favor but how much is to much?

It's too bad that it would be really difficult to perform a proper experiment to test the clonker's effectiveness. The rattle bobbers can be compared to a no bobber control at the same time and relatively same spot using similar size and temperament bullheads. Even with several uncontrollable variables, you could do enough comparisons in a season to get a fairly certain determination if they work.

With the clonker, you can either test it against an entirely different spot or a different time. It's not a good comparison if you used it somewhere one night and not the next night. With all the possible variables you would have to use it here and there for 20 years then hire someone with a PhD in statistics to make any sense of whether it actually works.

I doubt anybody has actually done this, so reports that the clonker works are purely anecdotal. It may work, it may not. I think not. Unless somebody can show me that most of the fish they catch come within 5 minutes of using that thing, I am not buying it, literally or figuratively. The folks that tell you it's best thing since sliced sucker are, at best, misguided.

I'll give a $50 gas card to anyone that can prove that thing works better than DTRO's pee wink

While I can’t say the clonk doesn’t work, it’s just not something I would use. If someone finds confidence using it, I say go for it. Just don’t bring it in my boat laugh

I agree that you can take a thing and make it way to complicated however without people trying different things, nothing would ever evolve, even the simplest things.

Say what you want about them, but I think these rattle bobbers have some staying power and I already have a couple of ideas on how to make them even better or shall I say more suited to this type of application. Not only that, but there has been some very nice fish caught using them.

It’s no different than any other fishing. I’m sure there were people pooh pooing Shake E Blades, Slow death hooks, and wacky rigging plastics. I wonder how that went whistle

I do belive in the rattle bobbers and have some ideas for a differnt presentation for this application to our sport of cat fishing. I remember laughing my a$$ off when the first rattle trap came out and even the buzz bait and they are proven methods of catching fish.

Don’t get me started on the two line deal again sick I’ve been fighting that one for 3 years now. Pretty sure I’m doing that thing that SteveD mentioned into the wind. A stiff breeze I might add too.

I agree that you can take a thing and make it way to complicated however without people trying different things, nothing would ever evolve, even the simplest things.

....so your saying my Glow Wonder Bread Dipsy Diver still has a chance!

dipsy-diver_1266.jpgwink