• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hitch ball grease

h8go4s

Question

I've been using ordinary grease on the hitch ball, but it's messy. I'm guessing there's no solution; anything is going to collect dirt and turn black but thought I'd ask if anyone has a better lube.

Ron.

19 answers to this question

there really is no need to grease your ball, a 2" ball pulling a 20ft boat all day and all night will last for years and years, so will the coupler.. I HAVE seen worn balls, but they have all been on commercial/contractor trucks that tow bobcats non-stop.. Chances are the trailer is more likely to come apart than the ball breaking... Just check everytime to make sure that the keeper is up tight against the bottom part of the ball, (just stick a finger under the coupler and feel if its "snug")

Plus a ball is what 10-20 bucks every 20 years?? Beats sloppin grease all over everywhere and everything..

Pretty sure the last ball I bought was 6.99, so at that price it's kind of disposable. I spent more for lunch today.

Sorry, it really doesn't answer your "better lube" question. Seems to me that consensus has been that anything you put on there will make it worse because it collects dirt.

h8go4s - love the name (assuming were talking about the 4 legged kind)

I'm in the club of not greasing. I do spray WD40 on the threads every time I change - after a year on the hitch the rust sure does take hold - are you refering to greasing the threads or the ball?

They do make a special grease for hitch balls. I just use ordinary grease and I always keep it greased. When I am going to pull something I clean the old grease off of the ball and give it a fresh coat. I don't worry about the hitch ball wearing out, but I don't want the hitch on the trailer to get worn. I keep a cover on the ball when it isn't being used. In winter I use 30 weight engine oil to lube the ball which works well for me. I guess I just believe that any time you put two metal objects rubbing together there will be some wear and grease will prevent this. I guess I must have thought that my father knew what he was doing when he greased his hitches. wink

I guess I must have thought that my father knew what he was doing when he greased his hitches. wink

Dad didn't live at a time when things are expected to break and few care about doing preventative maintenance. It probably would have cost him a lot more real time and real money than things do these days as well.

What you should do is hit the receiver and insert with some WD40 or grease now and then, especially before and after winter. I have seen the inserts rusted in never to come out again smile Mainly for people who never take theirs out, but I rarely take mine out in my truck, usually only to lube it up, just in case wink

Exposed grease is a dirt collector.

I have a few sizes of receivers and think it best to keep the balls clean. No grease and no dirt on the balls keeps the couplers clean. A clean coupling probably reduces wear better than a slightly dirty greased coupling. I would avoid the use of grease unless you clean the ball and coupler before each use. Or plan on going a great distance.

I prefer powder... wink ......

Realy though... The only time I ever put some sort of "lube" between the trailer and the truck is in the winter when the road is greasy or there is freezing rain. Then it is just a little 5-20. In the summer I leave everything high and dry. As was said before, it is just something else to catch dirt and grime.

On a similar note.

About three years ago I purchased a stainless steel receiver and ball. I also picked up a six inch 'farmer' hitch pin from Tractor Supply.

Stainless is not cheap but three years later I can say I do think it was worth the investment. I have not jacked around with cleaning brushes and WD-40 nor have I suffered a skinned knuckle since. I have not had rust issues nor problems installing the hitch pin since the purchase. It is the cat's meow.

I do make certain to remove the hitch when not using it to avoid theft but I am too lazy to bother with a bung hole cover on the receiver, still I have not had rust issues or problems installing the hitch pin since the purchase.