• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trail Cameras

DaveT

Just got back from Kansas, mowed the clover plots and checked the 2 cameras we had down there, they rhyme with muddyback. One camera malfunctioned and took no pictures, couldn't get it working again with new batteries. The other camera managed to take a couple hundred pictures before it apparently failed, and we couldn't get that one working again either. My Dad also has one of these same cameras that is constantly failing and or frying cards.

I am wondering if anybody has used a particular brand/model that is easy to set up, takes decent pictures and has long battery life, since we are 6 and a half hours away from our cameras and only get down every couple months.

I have an infared moultrie. they do have great battery life. but, the thing that really bugs me is that it makes a noise when the lense flicks while it takes a picture. the deer can totally hear this and it alarms them a lot more than a flash in my opinion.

We havent had a problem with Leaf River cameras. We bought our first one about 5 years ago and it still works perfect and we bought a new IR one from them last year and havent had a problem. We leave ours out pretty much year round unless it gets too cold for them and we change batteries maybe every 6 months if even that. They take a little bit of reading instructions though to get everything figured out but nothing too serious.

I have to agree with the Moultrie D40 suggestion. Very good on batterys and they take good photos too. Probably not the greatest trigger speed but I am one of those people who would rather have two cheaper cameras in 2 locations then 1 expensive camera covering half the groud. Plus it doen't hurt as much if someone happens to "borrow" your camera.

I’ve used trail cameras for 9 years now, I’m a bit of an addict. The moultries are really good (skip the d40 though!). I have 2-i60’s and an i40. I’m in the process of getting both the i60’s fixed, the screens went blank on them (common issue). However, if you want a really good camera go w/ the scoutguard it blows the moultries out of the water and is only $199. It’s extremely small (not much bigger then a can of pop), runs a lot longer then the moultries on smaller batteries and has better setup options (you can set very short delays between events where the Moultrie starts at 1 minute).

As far as I’m concerned the scoutguard is the best trail cam out there, especially considering it’s only $199. Bushnell is now making a cam (trophycam) that is based on the scoutguard, I plan on picking one up this week.

Either Moultrie (NOT the d40) or scoutguard you can’t go wrong, but I’d highly highly recommend the scoutguard!

Best bang for the buck? I would say scoutguard as well. I think the Moultrie I40 has a better pic quality but the options and speed of the scoutguard can't be beat for the price. Ir pics of the scoutguard don't compare to the I40. the I40 is much better in that regard. If you set up either of these cams in the field to there qualities, SG on trails and Moultrie I40 over feed(at least something to hold the subject in) they both shine. Moultries has about a 3 second slower trigger speed than the SG. Great vids on both as well. Leaf River puts out some excellent cams if you want to pay more. Leaf river has great range with the flash units from my experience. They trigger animals from quite a distance aways. I own an older version but It's been a good camera as long as you use it right.Check out the IR7-ss from leaf river. It's their latest and greatest It'll be my next camera.

I would vote for a homemade or cottage industry homebrew with sony p41 camera

It can take 2000 pics on just 4 aa lithium in any temp range

Ideal for long deployments and 1 second trigger time and trail mode will take pic every few seconds as long as motion is sensed.

search classifieds on AT, Hagshouse, [YouNeedAuthorization], etc $200