• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Outboard motor cutting out

herefish101

I have a 1979 chrysler 75hp outboard motor, the thing runs great at idle and even slower speeds, but as soon as i crack it to wide open throttle it starts to miss then it shutters then it dies, i put it back in neutral hit the key and it starts right back up. I dont have the money to replace the motor. Is it a carb problem? timing? it puzzels me. I am pretty good with a wrench so if someone could just help me get going in the right direction that would be great. Any advice is good advice, thank you.

I bet it is the fuel line or bulb or fittings. I just had a 50hp that starts and runs great, but when tubing this weekend, I found it bogged when turning tight. Same sypmtoms you are talking about. So I had an old fuel line from a different motor (not bad, just old) and put cleaned up old fittings, put it on the newer fuel line and bulb, and presto.... all running fine.

My fittings must have been leaking when just a little bit of pressure was put on the fitting going into the motor. These were the cheap plastic ones from a "generic" fuel line from big box store. Put the Merc fittings back on and now running great.

Good luck.

it could be a head gasket.. $30 mine went out on sat and it would idle fine but wouldnt go over 10 mph, does it smoke alot? check the spark and clean the plugs... put a helathy dose of seafoam in the tank and let it idle for about 5 to 10 min the crack it open..