• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Minnesota Metro Muskie reports?

I can't believe the paranoia on this topic, especially on a species of fish that is 99.9% catch and release (Need a Shawn Kellet factoid). I keep hearing overtones of "my fish".

As much as I like the sport of muskie fishing, I am increasingly turned off by the muskie angler. Maybe just the "internet professionals" because some of the friends I have catch a lot of fish and post nothing. They learned their lessons long ago and got tired of the internet drama. I am starting to see their position.

I don't think we could stock enough lakes and keep some guys happy.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
FOREST LAKE IS ALWAYS PACKED ITS KNOWING WHERE AND WHEN TO FISH.

i've been on lakes when it was packed (when i fished them) with muskie hunters. it's one of the best places i know where a ''follow up'' cast on someone elses follow is actually almost a sure hook up. it might be a little cheesy but when things got busy i sat back and just scouted from a distance and looked for other people doing the ''i just got a follow'' dance. you know the ones, we've all done them at one time or another. then when the coast was clear i'd slip in and, from a distance, throw something else. usually a medium sized spinnerbait or a topwater. i've hooked into more fish this way it's sick. i've also got a secret ''system'' i used for them too toward the end of my lake tenure. it involves a tecnique that makes a muskie (and of course bass) go nuts. it's marketable, i just have to wait untill Heckler get's noticed before i let it out i guess. start talking about it too much and ''poof'' it's not my idea anymore. so many ideas, so little time frown

anyway, it's in the way you adapt to the conditions that can put more fish in your journal.

For the record, catfish forum has 56 viewers to 53 on muskie.

If you guys think muskie fishing has exploded in popularity, you'd be shocked to see what's happened to cattin' in the last 2. There is a reason there are 56 viewers in the cat forum.

I read the cat forum everyday but have never once fished for cats, I just like seeing big fish. As of late more people are seeing pictures in the paper or hearing stories at bait shops about giant fish and they want in on the action, I don't blame anyone for getting into the sport especially considering the opportunities we have for big cats or big muskies in our state.

When someone catches a big fish they're going to want to tell people about it, and thus the cycle begins.

Good point "lot of luck". Im no pro. i dont post much like your friends. I just read some posts for fun. I dont go to lakes from what i see on here. I know some do, and if it is a small lake. i see what frustrates redig. Anyways

I had a boat with 3 Aholes cut me off on saturday. Twice!! The second time i boated a 52.25 no more than 40yards from em. I think they were rookies tho, so i didnt yell. I got it on my homemade double blade, that if i remember right. I learned how to make from a post by "Heckler". So thank you.

I had a boat with 3 Aholes cut me off on saturday. Twice!! The second time i boated a 52.25 no more than 40yards from em. I think they were rookies tho, so i didnt yell.
Thats the best way to really rub their nose in, IMO...

Crazy weekend. Saw a couple nice ones that would't commit. The one that did commit hid itself all the way then tried to eat the trolling motor. Other than that, fished humps between the wake boarders and pleasure boaters. Sure was a tough weekend. Looks like it will be even tougher next few weeks on tonka. New chemical treatment otw for tonka due to invasive species.

http://kstp.com/news/stories/S1026204.shtml?cat=1

Last night was a great night to work on boat control, positioning the boat on structure with wind, and how to set up for a fig 8 when you're not able to pull a bait perfectly back to you......

Good practice and stuff that'll help put fish in the boat on the windy Fall days!

Since I see that someone mentioned Catfish here smile

We have an advantage over lake fisherman as we can name a river and most likely that covers a HUGE area.

I do find it funny though that people argue about recycled fish. It’s a bit different than a hot crappie bite where the bucket brigade is showing up.

I believe in Karma and the idea of getting out of something what you give, so I will continue to help people however I can and hope that there is some sort of return down the road, even if that means dealing with more people on the water.

Unfortunately there is no such thing as “keeping quiet” on a metro lake. For every guy keeping their mouth shut, there are 10 more telling their buddies who are in turn telling their buddies and on and on. If it’s solitude you are looking for it is best done in a less populated region.

I would put money on Facebook and Twitter being a next major source of hot bite info amongst fisherman. People are already dabbling in it and if you think internet forums get the word out fast, you ain’t seen nothing.

Best thing to do is shrug your shoulders and enjoy your time spent on the water. Stress kills ya.

There has been a big difference in my action as of late and earlier in the year. I thought about quitting but have been seeing active fish, finally landed one and have been hearing reports of fish being more active. Wondering what this cold snap will do, but you certainly aren't going to catch them from the couch!

Yeah Jim Buck, crazy everything is OK! Real good in fact. grin

How has the metro bite been doing?

I Was up catching Lakers for a week in the BWCA, and the bite for them was really strong. Sounds like the metro muskie bite has been getting better. Will get out soon and post a report. grin