• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Minnesota Metro Muskie reports?

What might you mean by a pattern? One day they are deep, one day they are shallow....One day they like Bulldawgs, one day they want bucktails. A pattern on Muskies usually doesn't last much longer than a day or a few hours. If you've patterned these dumb fish then I guess you must be 10 steps ahead of the game?????

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JRedig is right on this one...it's 11:28 at night and there are 43 people viewing this forum.

Wallygator I don't believe that number is real time, I think it lags or it is a cumulative number over time, because at 12:36 a.m. it still says 43 smile

But I do understand what you're saying. Very valid points.

internet is a dangerous place to be giving out info

in this day and age, people with lakemasters and access to a forum like this will go out and fish anywhere. Before, people such as this were too lazy or did not even know where to go and what to do. MUCH easier to get into the sport of fishing today than it was even 5 years ago, 10 years ago

we as anglers have to be careful of how much we post online. Its easy to throw away a sentence or two online for some reason - I guess we just don't realize how big our audience is. Try imagining standing up in front of a packed auditorium of anglers and telling them your honey hole the next time you are about to post information.

I know it makes ME think twice!

I would have to disagree. The metro area is hammered pretty much on a daily basis on most every lake. Like I stated earlier being in the right place at the right time is key. One day one lake can be on fire, the next it sucks. Doesn't really matter what might be posted as the bite from day to day can differ exponentially. Sure , someone might catch X amount of Muskies on Lake X one day utilizing a certain technique.....Does not mean some internet hot spot scroungers are going to pull off the same thing the next day, although they may try. After all folks, it is Muskie fishing and many times we are at the mercy of a stupid fish that graces us with it's appearance every once in a while.

I think you hit it right on..... The last two nights of fishing for me proves this huge, Wed night on Forest Lake I had a awesome night of fishing, 8 or so follows and landed 2 very nice fish. So I headed back out last night for the same action..cause muskies pattern so well !! Yeah right, not a single fish showed it self.

So my "pattern" lasted 1 night ! and 1 other thing, someone said there was 40 people on here lastnight reading this forum around 10-11 pm, that right there shows you most people arnt to serious about these fish...that was prime time lastnight, or this whole week, sunset, moonrise, minors and majors all landed in and around those times this whole week....perfect time to be on the water and it paid of for me 1 night!!

This post is coming from a guy who, for the most part, just lurks on these forums. What I gather from most forums is that the guys who are catching a lot of fish are keeping there mouths shut. They might tell you in December how they were doing in August but you have to protect your spots and patterns. Yes! there are patterns in Musky fishing. If you have never figured out a pattern in musky fishing, you have a lot ahead of you.

Weekend warriors don't get out daily, so they don't pick up on patterns as easily. They usually do there fishing from there desk, all week long on musky forums. When you do pick up on a good pattern that produces for a few days, the last place you are gonna be is in front of your computer.

I don't even know how to respond to eager and anglerx, a pattern isn't something that lasts 1 night. Wildlife LIVES by patterns, just because you haven't figured it out, doesn't mean it's not happening everyday. It does minutely change from day to day, you can never expect to go out and have the same thing produce in exactly the same way the next day, or at least I sure don't.

In regards to people being serious just because they're not out at primetime, that's an awfully terrible assumption to be making...not everyone can fish all the time, some people don't do the night thing and still catch plenty of fish regardless of "primetime"...besides, what's the difference, you didn't see anything during that amazing window, so by your statements they were just as effective in front of their computer as being on the water.

You really think just because you didn't see anything going on there wasn't something happening?

Porterhouse, you touched on a very important detail...

So what kind of "pattern" is iceman giving away on the internets when he sees two flash bulbs go off from across the lake and catches zero fish himself?

I've got better spots to waste time fishing.

Do you always read every other post/word and put random stuff together? When did I ever say he was giving away a pattern? Two different discussion topics within a thread, pay attention.

Originally Posted By: iceman16
just got off eagle. no fish no follows. did see one other boat get two after dark. i saw the flash from the camera. one of these days ill get a ski. its driving me nuts. think im gonna give it another shot tomorrow night.

iceman

You should really think a little bit about what you're doing before giving specific reports like this on such a small lake...

You really think just because you didn't see anything going on there wasn't something happening?

For sure there was something going on, just not in the same "pattern" as the night before, muskies change what they do a lot faster than we can keep up with them. That makes them a really hard fish to catch, fishing in "windows" like we have had the past few nights only helps a person in there chances at catching one.

I usally only read these posts to past a little time, im not here to debate anything with you redig...you do your thing i do mine...

what i do works for me, it might not work for you, but im ok with that...im done posting now......

iceman if you want some tips PM me, or if you want to hop in my boat, your more than wlecome

The funny thing about this whole discussion is JRedig's original post was meant as a helpful tip...not the condemning criticism it has been taken as.

9:44 am, and there are 59 people viewing this forum. If you give out specifics, I obviously can't stop you, but expect company. In the case of a small lake, "I caught 2" is the exact same as giving away a reef holding a pig up on Mille Lacs.

Hehe, like everybody viewing this thread will go fish that lake smile I am just coming to see the banter, ha! I gaurantee you I will never fish Eagle in my life.

Some folks, like myself, just like seeing what is going on. And I am no muskie guy, as Jeff knows wink

I see the point in not getting specific. I think point taken by all...

JRedig- I'm seeing the same thing with the pure strains and tigers. Why is this? Pressure or low water levels? I'm sure has something to do with the baitfish being everywhere. I'm finding baitfish spread out on the lakes everywhere this year. Kind of crazy.

Brian

Porterhouse I've seen the same things. Also, I know water temps are relative, but I seem to remember them being a bit higher on Bald Eagle and WBL at similar points in past seasons. this has caused me to spend a lot more time in deep water searching for baitfish with little success. I've also caught myself trying to "figure it out" too much out there - Cjac may have been right when he advised me that maybe its just best to go out and cast like a donkey! wink

As far as the other part of this thread about sharing info. Part of me says - who cares cause I've gone back to MY whistle same spots where I've caught or moved fish and not seen squat so why not share a bunch of info. The other part of me saw over 1000 views to a post last year with a picture of two fish in a half our from an excited guy (me) who caught two fish within a half hour who really doesn't know what he's doing. In my excitement, and perhaps hubris, the times were included in the posts. Following that I started seeing boats out at times that I hadn't before. Maybe a coincidence. By no means do I think I know much about this or that I have a scaret spot. I also don't worry about someone going out and catching "MY" fish, but I'm sure you've all been jazzed up to fish a lake or a spot only to pull up the the access at 5AM and there are already 20 rigs in the lot or you pull up to a spot and there is a boat already there. This doesn't mean someone else is going to catch and kill all the fish before you get to them - its just a bummer when it happens. Regardless, I'm now kinda interested to check out Eagle to see what all the fuss is about and I couldn't even find it on a map without help from Google. shocked

oops sorry for saying bald eagle, had it on my mind last night because that is where i went this morning. No takers.

For the guy who boated a couple 2 nights ago, and had no luck in the same spot a night later.

Something that has worked for me is to just move off the spot a little. Say open water. i have had great luck on the exact same presentation over deep water, near my spots that were on a day earlier. Im sure most have tried that though. I bit of a pattern i guess.

By the way, i dont think i have ever fished a lake in the metro because people on here said they did well. After all, all fisherman lie.

I have not seen it yet this year on that lake, but I remember last year when probably 10+ cars w/ trailers that were parking in the circle and on opposite side, all had red envelops on their windshields, not to mention the ones that had to have one tire on the grass because truck and trailer wouldn't fit also ticketed. I don't mind specifics on tactics and depth etc, but do try to keep spots/small lakes names to a minimum since they are recieving too much pressure. The lake iceman mention has been hit very hard this year, can't remember a day I've been out there that basically every boat out there was tossing for ski's. The difference with mentioning a lake like the one jredig has been fishing all week is its totatlly different from a smaller lake. I was there all week too and probably only have seen 2 other boats the whole time on spots I have been doing very well on and have boated fish 3of4 nights.

This site is awesome for info I myself have pieced some info and tactics together and proven it that it works where I maybe fishing. But posting lakes doesn't really help anything except putting another boat for you to trail behind while your out there. Nothing better than doing some homework on tactics, applications, and timing, and having it all payoff with being on fish.

Any news as of late about the fishing out Tonka way? Bald Eagle? Just wondering how the fishing has been as I have not been out for a while now. I'll post results as I plan on hitting Tonka this week. Thanks!

I guess when I started this post, all I was really looking to get was whether or not people were doing OK on a couple lakes that I fish on a regular basis. If you want to share your results and not say what lake you were on, no problem. http://www.fishingminnesota.com/forum/images/icons/default/smile.gif

If you want to talk about what lake you were on and share further, fine too.

I get out 2-3 times a week July and August and generally have decent success most years. I don't rely on internet info much-just like to see if folks have done alright or not. After all, you can't catch fish on the internet.

Pressure on lakes for me has become an accepted thing that you cannot really control. I know people will argue that one by saying that using forums like these and blabbing about your spots/lakes is like slitting your own throat. And it can be, I realize that. But I see nothing wrong with sharing info with caution. As to what extent sharing is considered good or bad can vary greatly by whose opinion is given on the topic. And we all know how many opinions Muskie fishermen can have... More than baits in our garage...

I remember when Eagle was getting hammered 10 years ago probably the same as it is as of late. Small lakes get real small with just a few boats. It is no secret lake. The metro tourney was won out there 7-8 years ago by a local guide with a 51" fish and a couple other dandies as well.

I guess I don't really see the need for all the anger I am perceiving on this topic. A fishing report is always given after the fact, and most often things change so much from day to day that the info you get today is old news.

So again, if you want to give a report, good. If not, don't. Use your own discretion on what you feel constitutes giving it up or not.

Have fun fishing a metro lake...

http://www.fishingminnesota.com/forum/images/icons/default/smile.gif

Man this is an interesting thread, a few different opinions goin back and forth, but thats what this thing is all about, opinions. For me, i don't really like to give out spots, but thats just me, doesn't mean everyone else has to do the same thing. Jredig was just given a pointer(his opinion on sharing)and i dont think he meant any harm by this.

For the pattern part, me and my dad are weekend warriors(and not that great of fisherman either lol) and we sure have a hard time keeping up with what the fish are doing. I believe there is hardly ever a hardset pattern, because this game is all about timing to me. I think a guy could do pretty well throwin his 5 favorite baits on his few favorite spots and just wait for the fish to turn on. Now sure experimentation is the key sometimes, especially with spots, because sometimes you just don't know what your missin. Guys can say whatever about patterns, because some guys that fish on a day to day basis can stay on the fish by tweaking what they're doing just a little and catch fish. Thats what i have to say about that.

And for jiggins original post, WBL was pretty dead last night, 1 little guy, 1 lazy follow, and a hit in the 8 after dark, tough night for such good conditions, but you can never predict em. Good luck guys.

did i mention lately that i can take a week of vacation, go fish a river and not see another muskie fisher the whole week? pretty much just the walleye guys lying about all the sheepshead they keep catching and the cat fishermen hideing behind something like a pillar at night. occasional piker here and there with a bobber but that's it. i just love this stuff about secret lakes and every spot on the lake filled up and pounded.

if it seems like i might be rubbing it in i'm sorry, ok i'm not sorry, i'm rubbing it in. grin

I'm kinda on JRedig's side on this issue. I really like what goblueM had to say as well. There was a lake or two that was very much advertised on this forum last year. I live in an area of the state (some of you know where) that has basically no muskie fishing opportunities within an hour drive. These lakes I have always considered as moderate to heavy pressured lakes. It just seems that once the posts started last year it got more and more fishing pressure like never before. It has carried on to this year, and honestly, I have fished these lakes the last 5 years and I have never seen anything close to this. Mid-Week, weekend, during the day, 2am, doesn't matter. They are out there 24/7. I know I could say it was just coincidence that the fishing pressure doubled. But then it tripled, and quadrupled. So, was it really a coincidence? It wouldn't be as big of a deal if there were more muskie lakes to spread the pressure, but when a guy only has 1-2 lakes to choose from he is kinda screwed.

I think this forum is great for helping others out in this great sport, but I don't think this forum is great for naming lakes. Even when people name areas of the state, it's not that hard to figure out. Some areas around the state only have 1 or 2 muskie lakes in that area. Just my opinion.

To those discounting numbers viewing, how about this:

This morning before work there were just under 1500 views to this thread. As of this moment, there are 1983. Sure some of us are checking in multiple times, but even at 5 views each, that's over 100 people. The number you see viewing at any one time is currently updated and much higher than any of you are anticipating.

Good point, and for every reader that reads about a hot bite, would it be reasonable to assume on average they tell 5 people that don't go on this site? And each one of those people tell 5 people, and on and on and on. So, more people will hear about reports then what is actually visually read here. Just something to think about.