Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
flagupdave

What is the best bait to use in a bullhead trap??

12 posts in this topic

I have been trapping bullheads for about 2 year now and I have been using dog food, I have had mixed results and have heard from other people that corn works better or even bacon...Any ideas????????

we used to use hamburger also works great,

dead minnows work very well also.

Thanks guys.... I have it soaking right now with some raw hamburger and next time I get some dead minnows I will have to try that

What exactly does a bullhead trap look like? And where can find one?

The Frabill Crayfish trap will do the trick on Bullheads and Stonecats, and Watterdogs too if there in the area.

They have an adjustable gate, similar to a crab trap. That way you can adjust the gate to somewhat determine the size of the Bullheads you wish.

You will get bonus crayfish as due to they like the baits as well as the Bullies do. The Bullies like the crawdads too.

Raw bacon is good, fish parts, big wad of funky Nightcrawlers, even fatty cow tallow will draw in Bullies...and the craws.

I would go with a lake vs the river. You will have to get creative on where you put it and how you hide your line tethered to it so no one notices it.

Ed, you can not use the square crawdad traps can you? The regs say a cylinder type minnow trap.

Page 70

• Traps used on non-eurasian watermilfoil waters may not exceed a width

and length of 30 inches, height may not exceed 15 inches, the diameter or

width of the opening may not exceed 1 1/2 inches, and mesh size may not

exceed 1/2 inch bar measure. Traps must have a waterproof

tag bearing

the name and address of the owner.