• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I don't know much about this area for Bass fishing but we are taking a trip to my friend's cabin near Hayward and would like to go bass fishing.

Is the Eau Clair chain any good for bass? Are there good populations of largemouth, smallmouth or both? I can't seem to find a lake survey like MN DNR does. Are there any other lakes in the area that would be better for largemouth or smallmouth fishing?

Thanks!

Can't help you on the Eau Claire chain, haven't fished up there in years. Some lakes around Hayward that might be worth a try are Nelson or the Chippewa Flowage for large mouth and it's hard to beat Big Round for smallies. LCO, Grindstone, Whitefish, and Sand all have pretty good populations of smallies too with an occasional LM.

I didn't mean that the Eau Caire chain is bad, a lot of guys I know fish it and do good. It's just that it's a long drive so I never get up there plus there's so many good lakes closer to me.

There's a couple of guys on this forum that live up that way, hopefully they'll check in and give you some advice.

I have a cabin on the Eau Claire chain since 1970. Yes there is good smallmouth fishing. The are a few high quality largemouth also.

The smallies on these lake are trophy sized but extremely hard to catch. The chain had its weeds decimated by rusty crayfish so the fish cruise the shallows during low light periods or after dark. The lakes also are exceptionly clear some with 20 foot plus seechi disk clarity readings so light line or floroucarbon are needed. The main way to get bass during the day is to cruise the lakes in 12 to 18 ft of water looking for fish cribs. There are always some bass on the cribs.Otherwise they seem to suspend during the day.If you are looking for daytime fishing with the family etc Nelson Lake near Hayward has good population of largemouth that can be caught all day due to the stained water. The Eau Claire chain has huge smallies but they can be hard to get except during prime conditions Sunup or dusk or cloudy windy days. Good luck

Mwal

I fish Middle Eau Claire a lot for musky. I catch some really nice largemouth bass in the southern half of the lake. There are a lot of weeds, both shallow and deep in that area of the lake. Most of the bass are caught early and late in the day, or when it's windy and overcast. Good Luck