Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Carp-fisher

16' aluminum canoe + 2 hp outboard + Minnesota River =?

6 posts in this topic

Like the title suggestions I'm thinking about putting a 2hp motor on my canoe and taking it out on the MN River at low summer water levels. Is this a stupid idea? Would a 2 hp outboard power my canoe up river for a couple of miles at low water levels? Any suggestions?

should be no problem at all. I ran a 2hp motor on my (heavy) coleman canoe for years...great fishing rig. I used a side motor mount; had a friend w/a square stern and I much preferred mine; didn't have to crank your arm behind you, i just kind of steered with my forearm resting on the motor. Only thing is to weight the front for balence, I balenced the weight toward the opposite side away from the motor and it was very stable.

Hey Traveler,

Thanks for the response. This is pretty much the rig I'm trying to put together.

An electric works well with a canoe also. Easier to raise and lower the depth than an outboard. Starting and outboard can get a little hairy if it won't go the first pull. The outboard also tilts the canoe badly when you're getting in and out.

The rig you are contemplating putting together should work very well. I used to do the same thing on the Rum River when the water was low. Only I used a 3HP motor. One thing that I did also was to wear my hip boot's. Usually I kept them rolled down to my knee's because I would get too hot otherwise. They came in very handy if I encountered a sandbar or shallow, rocky area's. Just get out and wade and pull your canoe along behind you. Good luck! 1DIRTBALL

Can't quite agree....We've used electrics on our canoes a lot, and they do have thier place on calm waters. But as soon as you need to fight even moderate current or wind, the electric loses the battle, especially later in the day when you're not at nearly full battery power. But the gas motor is still rarin' to go. True, the electric is a little easier to manage, but once you counterweight it a bit and get used to it, it's really no big deal at all.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• I'm awesome at catching fish in the US. I leave Canada to those who are not so awesome at fishing.
    • I was at the fishing show & had talked with the Aqua Vu staff.  Their new HD cameras look amazing!  I thought the pictures on the AV760 was great, but these are super sharp. They also stated that you can view them clearly in the direct sun light.
    • The walleyes (current strong) I catch on Rainy fight harder than any bass I've ever caught. 
    • That's what happened when a mouse ran up Del's leg. He peed all over the carpet. 
    • cool info here....   http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/education_safety/safety/ice/ice_stats.pdf
    • Anyone fall thru the ice with a floating jacket or bibs? Any take on it? How about going thru WITHOUT floating jacket and pants? Any take on it? What if you fall in? What should you do if you fall through the ice? First, try not to panic. This may be easier said than done, unless you have worked out a survival plan in advance. Read through these steps so that you can be prepared. Don't remove your winter clothing. Heavy clothes won't drag you down, but instead can trap air to provide warmth and flotation. This is especially true with a snowmobile suit. Turn toward the direction you came. That’s probably the strongest ice. Place your hands and arms on the unbroken surface. This is where a pair of nails, sharpened screwdrivers or ice picks come in handy in
      providing the extra traction you need to pull yourself up onto the ice. Kick your feet and dig in your ice picks to work your way back onto the solid ice. If your clothes have trapped a lot of water, you may have to lift yourself partially out of the water on your elbows to let the water drain before starting forward. Lie flat on the ice once you are out and roll away from the hole to keep your weight spread out. This may help prevent you from breaking through again. Get to a warm, dry, sheltered area and re-warm yourself immediately. In moderate to severe cases of cold water hypothermia, you must seek medical attention. Cold blood trapped in your extremities can come rushing back to your heart after you begin to re-warm. The shock of the
      chilled blood may cause ventricular fibrillation leading to a heart attack and death! 
    • dont be surprised if ya catch a REB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • Well see their ya, go. Now fight that on a 26" rod. Can we both agree then that Walleye's can give up a little fight?
    • Here's a 12lber from this summer, though    
  • Our Sponsors