• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

16' aluminum canoe + 2 hp outboard + Minnesota River =?

Carp-fisher

Question

Like the title suggestions I'm thinking about putting a 2hp motor on my canoe and taking it out on the MN River at low summer water levels. Is this a stupid idea? Would a 2 hp outboard power my canoe up river for a couple of miles at low water levels? Any suggestions?

5 answers to this question

should be no problem at all. I ran a 2hp motor on my (heavy) coleman canoe for years...great fishing rig. I used a side motor mount; had a friend w/a square stern and I much preferred mine; didn't have to crank your arm behind you, i just kind of steered with my forearm resting on the motor. Only thing is to weight the front for balence, I balenced the weight toward the opposite side away from the motor and it was very stable.

An electric works well with a canoe also. Easier to raise and lower the depth than an outboard. Starting and outboard can get a little hairy if it won't go the first pull. The outboard also tilts the canoe badly when you're getting in and out.

The rig you are contemplating putting together should work very well. I used to do the same thing on the Rum River when the water was low. Only I used a 3HP motor. One thing that I did also was to wear my hip boot's. Usually I kept them rolled down to my knee's because I would get too hot otherwise. They came in very handy if I encountered a sandbar or shallow, rocky area's. Just get out and wade and pull your canoe along behind you. Good luck! 1DIRTBALL

Can't quite agree....We've used electrics on our canoes a lot, and they do have thier place on calm waters. But as soon as you need to fight even moderate current or wind, the electric loses the battle, especially later in the day when you're not at nearly full battery power. But the gas motor is still rarin' to go. True, the electric is a little easier to manage, but once you counterweight it a bit and get used to it, it's really no big deal at all.