• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bluegill as bait?

bobbymalone

Before everyone starts jumping in here telling me it's illegal:

1. I already know

2. I don't do it.

I am just wondering if there has ever been a push to change the law to allow for bluegill to be used as bait. I hear they work great down south and there are a probably more lakes with stunted bluegill populations that there are stunted bullhead lakes.

Many states allow for this. How receptive do think people would be to the idea? Any comments?

This was brought up before because they are legal elsewhere, and one of the posters had been using bluegills and changed to bullies because bullies are more durable and hold up better in tanks. Another problem would be not taking them out of infected lakes.

Nope never have, but do have some buddies that are down south and they do. They were from up here and were all excited to use them and bam didn't do much more then bullies. And yes they die rather quickly. Also one of my buddies is down in IL and is on the fox river as we speak. He to is all excited to be able to use them. I will post on sunday how he did with them

I think it may be a "The grass is always greener" thing, I personally feel that if that flathead wants to eat, he's going to, no matter what is stuck down there in front of him

You hit the nail on the head Nick.

Minnesota cannot let one use a bullhead larger than 7" so I would guess that any game fish is out of the question.

Bullies work just fine.

I just happen to know many more places with an over-abundance of small sunfish. Culling off some of the smallest ones would not only be healthy for these places, but very convenient for bait.

I've never had much luck catching the numbers of bullhead or any other fish for that matter in the same amount that I can catch small bluegill.

God grant me the serenity to accept those things I cannot change. You are pi$$ing in the wind.

I know that phrase all to well and its still wont change the law when it comes to using bluegills but I would most defintly be up for it.

Originally Posted By: SteveD
God grant me the serenity to accept those things I cannot change. You are pi$$ing in the wind.

Agreed...I think you got a better shot a passing legislation to use kittens as cutbait.

I didn't realize that was illegal.

For me it comes down to having good fresh live bait available to me. But because of all the red tape in this state we are limited to what we can use. Not only limited to species of bait, but also the size.

At times I truly believe that one bait will outfish another (based on time of year, water temp, etc), but it's tough to put the "best" label on any one bait.

Having them (sunfish) as well as other species available to use legally would just mean more time spent on the water instead of gathering bait that the states thinks is okay to use.

I have used them down south on farm ponds. In my opinion, if you are fishing ponds and lakes with a large channel population, bluegills would work great. Fishing rivers and bayous you will do better with shad, bullies, or suckers. My late grandfather was a cat man whether it be trot-line, yo-yo, cane pole, or rod and reel, that man would catch them. On his trot lines and yo-yos, he always used shiners as he had a chance at crappies as well, but when he was fishing ponds and lakes it was bluegills. Most of the time they were no larger than two or three inches.

Then again, this is down south where the ponds were stocked full of channels. Certain situations they work great, but I don't know of any spots really in Minnesota where bluegills would work better than the current legal bait options.