• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bobber fishing........

bmc

My 11 year old daughter "graduated" last year from catching panfish to catching big fish....'eyes and pike. Now she wants a musky. Being she has a hard time casting those big lures, I decided to go the bobber/quickstrike rig with her. It works out good as I can fish for 'eyes and she can fish for 'skis. The set up I use is a bobber, quick strike rig w/ 2oz of rubber core sinkers on the leader and a big decoy sucker minnow. To keep the bobber in place, I clamp a small split shot below the bobber to keep it from sliding down to the bait when we're back trolling. I'm worried about trying to get that split shot off during the heat of battle though. Any ohter ideas?

Thanks,

Brian

Why do you have to remove the split shot?

I thought people usually dragged the sucker minnow just a few feet under the surface. Anyways you could try using a planer board release, for easier removal, instead of the split shot or even use a planer board in place of the big bobber.

Also muskies will bite small lures too. Just ask the bass fisherman.

Good luck. I hope your daughter has the excitement of catching a nice muskie.

The split shot keeps the bobber from sliding down to the leader. Maybe w/ 2 oz of sinker on the leader that won't happen? When we do this I'm trolling in about 16-20' so I set the bobber at about 8'.

I read yesterday that most people who do this hang the sucker about 2-3' below the bobber. Might have to try that sometime too.

Thanks,

Brian

Also muskies will bite small lures too. Just ask the bass fisherman.

I hooked into a half dozen muskies this year, most were on a senko, one was on a deep diving rapala shad rap, the other was on an inline spinner with a size 5 blade.

No DCGs or giant cranks or bulldawgs here.

Also, I bet she can hold a rod trolling a big musky lure even if she can't cast it, that's always an option.