• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

A few of my "little" boy

My son doesn't like getting his picture taken but I talked him into it last night. I have been trying to improve my outside portraits and I think I did ok on some of these. Please tell me what you think.

pic.php?mode=large&pic_id=972.jpg

pic.php?mode=large&pic_id=974.jpg

pic.php?mode=large&pic_id=975.jpg

pic.php?mode=large&pic_id=976.jpg

pic.php?mode=large&pic_id=977.jpg

These are looking great Mike.

#1 My least favorite, the grass is distracting across his body and he looks out of place against the large truck.

#2 I like it, I'm wondering if it would be stronger if he was looking at you? The sunlight might be a bit of a distraction on his arm and back of his head. I am sure you could not have used the sun as a complete rim light here based on the shadows from the building.

#3 Nicely done

#4 Nice PP work, I think my favorite of the bunch.

#5 I like this as well, good use of perspective.

I like them all just fine, Mike. They look good to me. When I have a subject in an environment like your first image, with all that tangled yellow sweetclover, I like to pose them peeking out of it. In this case it would add a bit of piquancy in an otherwise traditional/serious portrait lineup and would transform a distraction into a key element in the photograph.

Thanks everyone for the comments. I appreciate you taking the time!

Dan, on the second shot, and virtually all of these I used a flash with umbrella camera left. #2 had the sun coming in from behind and to the right. I tried several there but couldn't get the light right. I'm thinking now that if I would have used the diffuser I could have tamed that sunlight a bit. Would that have worked?

Quote:
Dan, on the second shot, and virtually all of these I used a flash with umbrella camera left. #2 had the sun coming in from behind and to the right. I tried several there but couldn't get the light right. I'm thinking now that if I would have used the diffuser I could have tamed that sunlight a bit. Would that have worked

Yep, I can see the umbrella in the catch lights. A diffuser to me is as important as a light. When the sun is out I normally am using both diffuser and lights. In this case a diffuser would have worked very well I think, eliminating the hot spots on the head and arm. I have an in-expensive 6'x4' for just these types of situations. You can also set a light behind it and shoot through it which gives you a very nice soft light, works well as a fill.