• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sucker vs. Bullhead Hook Style

snatcher20

So as I mentioned in my recap of last night in the other post, we were unable to get bullies last night. I've been using bullies almost exclusive for the last two years and have converted to circle hooks exlusively for the last year and a half.

I feel very good about circles in bullheads as bullheads are shorter and stockier. This in my mind leaves a very good chance the entire bullhead and hook are in the flat's mouth. I would guess my hookup percentage with circles is pushing 90%.

Last night my confidence was much lower in the circle hook placed in the back of a 7-10" sucker as they are longer and more slender. My results were 1/2 on hookups, and the hookup was not set well in the corner of the mouth.

Outside of Steve D's minnow harness, do you guys change hook style based on the bait fishing, or stay religious with the cirlce or J hook?

Heading out tonight again with suckers. I switched from J's to cirlces due to a poor hook up percentage. But also now have shakey confidence in circles with suckers, especially after having one come off last night. I use 8/0 circles.

use the hook that best fits your style of setting the hook. if you give it a big swing i would go with more of a open ended hook ( kahl, EWG gamak, Oshanske (sp) on them of course I use circles for almost every type of bait Iam starting to really like the EWG's tho,

I know I didnt specify what to use but gave you my thoughts on the "hook"

If you like circles, I would stay with them for a bit before you switch to different hook for suckers.

In your case you batted 1 for 2 last night, while your average is .900. You need more at bats and more strikeouts before you should start thinking about a slump.

I think Dan covered it pretty well. Everyone is different for styles of hookset etc. I use Gomakatsu Octo's and really enjoy them. I've tried circle hooks many times but I've got a hard time resisting a nice hearty hookset with one on. For me, nothing says "Fish On" like setting the hook into a nice fish that is making the clicker scream for mercy. wink Do what works/feels right for you. Go get em'.

WOW - you can be easily swayed. Flat fishing is the major league and you need a few more at bats before you change your stance or your bat. Don't let a single night's 1 for 2 make you lose confidence.

If you can keep your suckers alive they make great flathead bait. I fished one last night with a single circle hook. I like to hook suckers right near the tail with an 8/0 or 5/0 Gamakatsu Circle hook depending on the size of the sucker. I had one last night left over from my channel cat bait and I had him hooked up when I started flat fishing. He was pulling clicker for a long time but he couldn't entice a flat to come eat him. Maybe tonight it will work - I'm going to pick up a few suckers again.

When a flathead eats, a flathead EATS! That 'Thump' is gallons of water and bait sucking into a flatheads mouth. Believe me... a couple inch longer and skinnier bait makes no difference.

When a flathead eats, a flathead EATS! That 'Thump' is gallons of water and bait sucking into a flatheads mouth. Believe me... a couple inch longer and skinnier bait makes no difference.

excactly ,think about it a big flat has the mouth the size of a bucket with a snap shut door and as Hanson said when a flathead eats he EATS plain and simple

With live bait I use big octopus hooks only and use my clicker as a detection device. Then flip the clicker off and SLOWLY reel up until I feel that fish at the end of the line then set the hook when it's tight. This has worked great for me this year as opposed to last year when I used 8/0 Team Catfish circle hooks with live bait and a tight line.

Even though this has worked for me...I have nights that I miss fish. Last weekend I went out and had three strong clicker runs and I missed each fish. Two felt really big and came unbuttoned and the other was yanked out of the mouth. It's just a part of the Catfishing game...same as frequency of getting snagged up and having to retie a lot. Don't be discouraged by missing some fish. Just experiment and use what overall works best for you.

We had a tough night staying hooked up the other night, a quick check of my hook revealed a slightly bent tip so that may have been the issue.

I prefer to us bigger circle hooks as I normally have a better hook up percentage, but this is assuming you can refrain from "setting" the hook, I have fished with people who can't and they miss alot of fish.

You brought up a good point too...check your gear! If you get snagged up bad and yank it out make sure to check that hook to make sure it's still sharp as new. If any of my hooks are worn down even the slightest bit I toss them back into my used hook box for re-sharpening at a later time.