• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fighting fish with the Saltist

I wasn't thrilled with the way my line piled up one side of the reel in the few seconds after the hookset. The line started slipping and skipping to the middle of the spool and I lost the fish.

I suppose I could set straight up, or roll the rod when I set to the side to keep the line going on straight, but would rather not have to think about this stuff when IT'S ON, any Saltist guys have any better suggestions?

Love the reel otherwise, turn and burn baby!

It's 2 things that we have found over the last year. Those high speed reels (not just Satltists but Trinidads too) don't like certain types of line. They creep up one side. We don't have any problems with TufLine and Stren. Also it helps if you don't fill the spool all the way up.

Lastly, it never hurts to let some extra line out behind the boat and reel it back in so it lays down smoothly again.

it's a non-levelwind 30 - no problems with line casting or retreiving, it actually piles on the spool very nice, but if you set the hook to the side and keep reeling, the bend in the rod pulls the line over to one side of the reel where it piles up, then falls off itself to the center of the spool, causing a loss or hiccup in line tension. wouldn't be a problem with the levelwind.

seems like you're going to have to make a conscious effort to keep your rod torqued in a way so the rod flexes downward toward the fish, not to the side - difficult to do if the fish eats on the end of the cast.