• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fix for foggy or scratched sunglasses!

311Hemi

Question

A few days ago I got fed up with my sunglasses as they were very foggy/scratched and I just could not stand it any longer. I searched the internet for a fix for my issue as I really did not want to drop a decent amount of money to buy the same exact set of Bolle's again.

The issue: The inside of the lens of my sunglasses had a bunch of tiny scratches (from not cleaning correctly) and it appeared that on a few areas of the lens a coating of some sort had been scratched/worn away a little. This was the blue/purple coating you see on the inside of the lens. The scratches in this coating were making everything blury. From searching online it appears this is an anti-reflective coating and it can be removed without harming the lens. The outside of my polarized lenses did not have any scratches even though they had always been cleaned the same way.

Solution: I went and purchased a small bottle of Armour Etch from Michaels. This is a glass etching agent that wont affect polycarbonate lenses. I removed the lenses from the frames and then per the instructions online I spread the Armour Etch over the inside surface of the lenses and let it sit for 5 minutes. Once 5 min was up I rinsed them off very well and then then washed them with dish soap and rinsed again.

I put them back together and the glasses are like new and perfectly clear again, minus the anti-reflective coating which really doesn't seem to affect me very much. You may get a small reflection once in a while, but it is not really noticeable at all. From my reading this does not affect the UV rating of the polycarbonate lenses and it did not affect the polarization.

Use at your own risk......it worked for my polarized polycarbonate lenses on my Bolle's.

DO NOT USE ON GLASS LENSES, YOU WILL RUIN THEM.

1 answer to this question