• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Record Dogfish?

Tippman

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aside from the size of em, a dogfishes scales being much smaller, they aren't even shaped the same. Nor could it be a gar, same deal. Maybe she got Buffalo fish and Dog fish mixed up?

What did she catch it on, what kind of bait? The fins should tell the story, dog fish have different dorsal fins....kind of one contineous fin....no pointed fin bones. Shape of the head, size of the eyes, the teeth.

Unless it is some kind of exotic, it shouldn't be that hard to ID? Even if it was and exotic type of fish, that would be evident also. Is this happening to anyone else?

Did something get changed? I get a few paragraphs typed and the box jumps back up to the last paragraph? This happened on other threads also? Is th

Is anyone else having trouble posting? The text keeps jumping around after you get to the end of the box. Has there been a limit put on length of replys? I can't even get back to the home page? That keeps jumping around also?

Is anyone else having trouble posting? The text keeps jumping around after you get to the end of the box. Has there been a limit put on length of replys? I can't even get back to the home page? That keeps jumping around also?

click the black down arrow on the right side of the tan bar above the text box, it extends the text box and will stop the jumping until you reach the bottom.

also, if you cant ID a bowfin by the skull, it is not a bowfin. and i dont believe it can be a record, as a DNR officer must be present on an official weigh in. if the fish has been decayed, there is no way to get an exact weight. therefore, it cannot be considered a record

Grebe, I had same issue. You prolly have IE8. You must use compat mode. Then it works the way it should. There is post somewhere about how to set this, I believe in the Page - Compat view settings area.

Well it sounds like the head, body, and fins all looked like a dogfish. It was the scales that were odd and larger from what I heard. There was no decay in the one day burried in cool soil and the dnr guy took it straight in to be weighed and verified.

Well it sounds like the head, body, and fins all looked like a dogfish. It was the scales that were odd and larger from what I heard. There was no decay in the one day burried in cool soil and the dnr guy took it straight in to be weighed and verified.

i still will think of this as only a tall tale until it is verified

I sure hope it is not a snakehead.

You never know they had one in Wisconsin.

On a side note. I don't think she deserves the record she obviously has no respect for the fish if she buried it. I love fishing for bowfin and don't understand why others don't? People fish for bass because the fight not eating quality, and in my experience bowfin put up a much better fight than bass.

I would rank bowfin in the top 5 for sport quality easily, with the ranks of lake trout, carp, catfish, and smallmouth bass!

I hear all the time about people catching them and either throwing them on shore or cutting them open and letting them back into the water. I guess if a fishes' name doesn't start with a wall and end in an eye it's no good.

unless of course it starts with a "sal" and ends with a "mon":) Seriously though, I can see why some guys like fishing hard fighting rough (or nearly) rough fish like cats, bowfin, carp and sturgeon; I like a spring trip to the Rainy myself to see if I can better my biggest sturge. But when push comes to shove, no way do they compete in my mind with top predator species like salmon, muskie, or even walleye. I'd sooner troll or cast for hard charging predators than soak bait for the most part. Yeah, of course once in a while some will hook one of the rough species on a lure, but by and large they're caught soaking bait and sucking thier existence off the bottom.