• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Record Dogfish?

Tippman

Here's a fishing story for you, believe what you want as I'm not even sure myself yet but definately interesting. Here's how it goes:

A middle aged female co-worker causually mentions to me that she caught a "really big dogfish this weekend that weighted 17 lbs". I immediately asked where and what she used to obtain the weight and she replied "Oh just one of those old spring scales, but it's pretty accurate". I smiled and asked what she did with it, her response was "I burried it". So I go on to tell her she may have burried the state record dogfish as in her garden for fertilizer if it was anywhere close to that weight!

Her interest was now sparked and she agreed it may be a good idea to try and "recover" the bowfin. (This is Monday night and the fish was caught Saturday)

The next day at work she tells me she dug the fish up as her husband was telling her she had gone crazy. Since the record is recorded at 31 inches I had told her the best way to get a close idea was to grab a quick length measurement. Well she was happy to report her fish was nearly 37 inches! Dnr personnel were called and someone came out shortly after. He first got her license, then said this was going to be quite the story if it tested out officially as a bowfin. (Record fish apparently need genetic testing to assure their species)

So now she's waiting to hear the official results from the Dnr. I told her I expect my name mentioned in her interview if it happens. I don't believe there are any pictures and it occured in west central Mn.

Interesting story, I hope everything works out. You heard it here on FM first if it does.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two summers ago on Pokegama I caught an 18"~ Rock Bass, and just tossed it back without a thought. We figured it to be in the 3# range. I thought about it later when my wifes grandpa said it the biggest one he had ever seen. We checked the record weight and decided that if we ever saw one that big again it would not go straight back without a fair amount of investigating.

She could get a record, and a ticket for wanton waste all in one smile

How in the heck would you classify that as wanton waste?? She took the fish home, and put it in the garden for fertilizer. She didn't leave it in the water to die, or on shore to rot away. What she did with it after she got home with it was totaly legal.

I just made a nice spreadsheet with all the State records on it, with Weight, Lengths & girths so this never happens to me. I dont want to be the guy that let any record fish go without at least checking

I just made a nice spreadsheet with all the State records on it, with Weight, Lengths & girths so this never happens to me. I dont want to be the guy that let any record fish go without at least checking

That is a good idea. Put it in your tackle box, and check it when the fish is questionable. grin

Originally Posted By: Farmboy1
She could get a record, and a ticket for wanton waste all in one smile

How in the heck would you classify that as wanton waste?? She took the fish home, and put it in the garden for fertilizer. She didn't leave it in the water to die, or on shore to rot away. What she did with it after she got home with it was totaly legal.

Doubtful that she could get a wanton waste ticket because you can burry any fish species you want because using it for fertilizer would be just as pro-active as eating it. Furthermore it is illegal to release a bowfin after catching it because they are so detramental to lakes.

Furthermore it is illegal to release a bowfin after catching it because they are so detramental to lakes.

Hmm... You sure 'bout that one?

They changed the release laws for rough fish a long time ago because of the filth of all the ones discarded on shore.

That's when the wanton waste laws started becoming significant.

"Furthermore it is illegal to release a bowfin after catching it because they are so detramental to lakes"

NO! Bowfin are part of a healthy fish population! They are a very misunderstood species.