• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Jeremy Mayfield

Personally I am very happy the ban was lifted.

I have cheered for Jeremy since 1993 and to see him back allowed to race is a good feeling.

I know others feel differently, but I wanted to say congrats.

Hope the test comes back from the place it was sent with the results Jeremy has always testified to.

NASCAR has confirmed suspended driver Jeremy Mayfield tested positive for methamphetamines. The confirmation from NASCAR spokesman Ramsey Poston came Wednesday after Mayfield's attorney mentioned the illegal substance several times during a 45-minute argument against the suspension. Mayfield has denied using methamphetamines.

The whole thing is ridiculous.

I really don't believe Mayfield is that stupid.

NASCAR's reluctance to have another independent lab analyze the urine sample is not only suspicious, but slanderous.

The man's entire reputation, career, life, depended on that second "B" sample.

Once again NASCAR's head is too big for the room.

Where do you guys get your info? The second sample was sent to Medtox here in MN and the results confirmed. The issue was Mayfield didn't get to have the second sample tested himself at a lab of his choosing because NASCAR used up the second sample sending it to Medtox.

I was suprised to hear Jeremy Mayfield tested positive for methamphetamine. But, the way his racing career has gone downhill the last few years....it's too bad.

I dislike NASCAR's administration as much as anyone, but I don't think they are picking on Jeremy Mayfield at all. He tested positive and they suspended him. They did not say what he tested positive for initially. Mayfield is the one that has turned this into a public fiasco, and ends up looking like a buffoon when an independant lab confirms the original lab results. I am going to side with scientific evidence over Mr. Mayfield's word on this one.

IMO, NASCAR was in a no win situation here. When he tested positive, if NASCAR came out and gave all the details, they would be brow beat for violating Jeremy's rights. If NASCAR does it like they did initially and not give any information out besides the fact that he tested positive, then they are hiding something.

I do think that for the second sample testing, NASCAR and Jeremy should have had an agreement on the lab that would test it though.

Where do you guys get your info? The second sample was sent to Medtox here in MN and the results confirmed. The issue was Mayfield didn't get to have the second sample tested himself at a lab of his choosing because NASCAR used up the second sample sending it to Medtox.

Updated: June 29, 2009, 10:58 PM ET

NASCAR spokesman: Result identical

By David Newton

ESPN.com

Archive

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Testing performed by an independent laboratory supported the results that left Sprint Cup driver Jeremy Mayfield indefinitely suspended for failing NASCAR's substance abuse policy, court documents said. Results of the test and the name of the individual tested were blacked out, but a NASCAR spokesman confirmed they were identical.

The documents, part of NASCAR's response to Mayfield's lawsuit to have his indefinite suspension lifted, show that Medtox Laboratories in Minnesota tested both his "A" and backup "B" samples last week and "confirmed the presence" of a substance that is blacked out in the filing.

Thanks Uncle Bill,

Only confirms once again that the big hand is into alot more than we think.

I really just think the the Brian France is up to more than what we think. I hate to think that way, but I see this as just the beginning, first you some how eliminate all the single car teams, then make it impossible for the small owners to qualify for the chase, then make sure each of the big name teams get 2 cars into the chase and so on. Sorry to think that way, but Nascar seems to be getting away from racing and being so politically corect and nicey nice, it is really starting to bore the snot out of me.

The racing is terrible IMO.

I really hate the top 35 being locked in, no bad guy hatred, no aggressive behavior in the pits. Not looking for a WWF situation in the pits or on the track, but some PO'ed drivers and pit guys make it more interesting.

Thanks Uncle Bill,

Only confirms once again that the big hand is into alot more than we think.

I really just think the the Brian France is up to more than what we think. I hate to think that way, but I see this as just the beginning, first you some how eliminate all the single car teams, then make it impossible for the small owners to qualify for the chase, then make sure each of the big name teams get 2 cars into the chase and so on. Sorry to think that way, but Nascar seems to be getting away from racing and being so politically corect and nicey nice, it is really starting to bore the snot out of me.

The racing is terrible IMO.

I really hate the top 35 being locked in, no bad guy hatred, no aggressive behavior in the pits. Not looking for a WWF situation in the pits or on the track, but some PO'ed drivers and pit guys make it more interesting.

That is kind of "Black Helicopter" theory isn't it? What would NASCAR have to gain by this. They need every team that they can get right now. Its too bad all this has to go down in court. Nobody is at fault anymore. If multiple samples come up positive from different labs, then I think it is obvious what happened. My point is what does NASCAR have to gain by getting rid of Mayfield?

They only test the second sample if the first one fails (from my understanding). Also, I think they did go to 2 different labs. We will have to wait and see on his next set of test because they haven't been made public yet.

I am all for being able to defend yourself, but what athlete that has tested positive has admitted that they did it right away?

Jeremy Mayfield Again Tests Positive

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- NASCAR on Wednesday filed court papers asking that Jeremy Mayfield's indefinite suspension for violating the sport's substance abuse policy be reinstated after his most recent test came up positive for methamphetamines.

Court documents also included affidavits that Mayfield is a longtime user of the illegal drug.

Mayfield

"We say to the court that Jeremy flouted both this Court's authority and NASCAR's Substance Abuse Policy by ingesting the same illegal drug that he has repeatedly denied taking within days of the Court's granting of the preliminary injunction," court documents said.

Mayfield once again denied ever using the illegal drug.

"I don't trust anything NASCAR does, anything [program administrator] Dr. David Black does, never have, never will," Mayfield told The Associated Press in a phone interview.

An affidavit by Mayfield's stepmother, Lisa, said "she has personal knowledge of Mr. Mayfield using and even manufacturing methamphetamine, including his usage of methamphetamine before a race as far back as a decade ago."

"I first saw Jeremy using methamphetamine in 1998 at Jeremy's shop on Jackson Road in Mooresville, North Carolina," she said. "Jeremy cooked some of his own methamphetamine in his shop by the house until the stores took pseudoephedrine off the shelves. In addition to making methamphetamine for his own use, I am aware that Jeremy has bought methamphetamine from others."

She testified to seeing Mayfield use methamphetamine approximately 30 times throughout the years, including at least once before a race.

"I was concerned about his heavy use and talked to his father about it,'' said Lisa, whose husband has since passed away. "I saw Jeremy use methamphetamine by snorting it up his nose at least [30] times during the [7] years I was around him. Jeremy used methamphetamines not only in my presence, but also when we were both in the presence of others.

"Jeremy told me that he did methamphetamine before the [NASCAR awards ceremony in New York] when he drove for Ray Evernham."

She also referred to a 1999 trip to Myrtle Beach the week before the Darlington race.

"I saw Jeremy using methamphetamine in Myrtle Beach,'' she testified. "We left Myrtle Beach and traveled to Darlington for the race. I saw Jeremy using methamphetamine again when we reached Darlington."

Mayfield angrily contested his stepmother's account.

"Now they got this lying [expletive] to tell lies about me, someone I am embarrassed even uses the Mayfield name. She's tried everything she can do to get money out of me, I won't help her, so I guess she found a way to get money from NASCAR by giving them an affidavit full of lies."

Mayfield originally tested positive for methamphetamines on May 1 and was suspended eight days later. He was granted the injunction lifting the suspension two weeks ago in federal court by Judge Graham Mullen.

An attorney for Mayfield filed documents earlier Wednesday arguing that the temporary injunction lifting the suspension of the driver for violating NASCAR's substance abuse policy should stand.

The filing was an answer to the appeal by NASCAR arguing that Judge Mullen's ruling should be overturned because Mayfield was a danger to the sport.

Mayfield's attorney, John Buric, said he filed 17 exhibits arguing his point.

"There's nothing really to comment on other than we believe Judge Mullen was right and we don't believe there are any grounds for NASCAR to seek any stay from the 4th Circuit," Buric said. "The order should stand as it is."

NASCAR countered with the results of the test Mayfield took at his home on July 6.

Court documents said the test was conclusive and that additional tests were performed to exclude the possibility that the results were a combination of Adderall and Claritin-D as Mayfield has claimed.

"My only comment is that's their result," Buric told AP. "But what I want you to keep in mind is that test was performed by the defendants in the case. Aegis Laboratories and Dr. Black are defendants in this case. I don't know if NASCAR has the right to ask the defendant to test Jeremy's urine sample. It ought to be done independently, but NASCAR didn't do that."

Buric said the law firm had Mayfield tested at an independent lab "not associated with NASCAR" and the results were negative.

Documents also said Mayfield's urine sample was "very dilute," an indication that an excessive consumption of water was consumed "in an effort to defeat a drug test."

The filing also said the "B" sample remains sealed and available for testing at another laboratory, a point of contention in the initial claim. Mayfield's attorney argued that because the original "B" sample was tested at the same laboratory, Aegis, employed by NASCAR to conduct the first test that the results were compromised and should be thrown out.

Buric acknowledged the two sides are still haggling over a lab for the "B" sample and said NASCAR rejected the lab Mayfield's side had picked.

NASCAR hopes the latest test eliminates any doubt that the first tests were legitimate.

"Because Mr. Mayfield's repeated and confirmed use of methamphetamine violates NASCAR's Substance Abuse Policy, and because NASCAR must be permitted to protect the safety of its drivers, crews, and fans, as well as the integrity of the sport, Defendants respectfully request that the Court immediately vacate its July 7, 2009 Order and reinstate NASCAR's suspension of Mr. Mayfield," court documents said.

There are some other stories out there. It sounds like quite the soap opera with Jeremy and his stepmom. I wonder what my Mobil #12 / Mayfield hat is worth on a particular web auction site today?

Maybe he can salvage his reputation.

Uncle Bill,

Even you have to admit at this point it just MIGHT be very possible that the truth is that Jeremy Mayfield is a methamphetamine user / addict, and that NASCAR is right in this instance.

Either way it is sad....But I am going to side with scientific evidence and the test results on this one. AND...if it is true, the best thing he could have done for his reputation would have been to come clean (pun intended), admit his use, and use this as an opportunity to get help for his problem. I know I would have respected him for that.

Originally Posted By: spearchucker
That is kind of "Black Helicopter" theory isn't it?

No black helicopters.

Why take two samples if you are going to send them both to the same lab for analysis. crazy

What would NASCAR have to gain by this.

They have a fat head and can't admit when they have made a mistake.

Its too bad all this has to go down in court. Nobody is at fault anymore.

He is entilteled to defend himself. If it was you, you would want the same.

If multiple samples come up positive from different labs, then I think it is obvious what happened.

Again, both sample A and B where sent to the same lab.

Lets admit one fact. Jermey did not pass his drug test. NASCAR does not need driver all drugged up in a race car on the track. He could also hurt another driver.

Facts are facts, Jermey has a huge issue with drugs.

NASCAR does make make up these tests and Jeremy needs to clean it up.

His own grandmother said she has seen him take drugs more than 30 times.

How much more does one need for facts???

I have always liked Jeremy and still have a hard time believing this, probably true?

I(we) will never know.

Sounds kinda fishy with his PO'd mother in law just coming up front now after 7 plus year knowledge.

If and 1 big IF what if NASCAR is wrong, think they will admit it, not going to happen folks.

Feel bad for him weather it is true or not, his career in racing is over even if it is not true.

Jeremy,

If it is an addiction get help, if not I hope you fight to the bitter end.

Just a fan for a long time.

Mark

This thing gets wierder all the time.

Now Mayfield may be filing a wrongful death suit against his step-mother regarding his fathers suicide 2 years ago in his garage.

Looks like Teresa Earnhardt and Dale Jr have nothing on these two in the stepmother/stepson world. Stay tuned.

DD

Someone needs to grab Mr. Mayfield by the shoulder and explain to him that he needs to put the shovel down and stop digging. You can't dig yourself out of the whole, you need to ask for help.

Something tells me this soap opera isn't over just yet. sick

Uncle Bill,

Even you have to admit at this point it just MIGHT be very possible that the truth is that Jeremy Mayfield is a methamphetamine user / addict, and that NASCAR is right in this instance.

I'll admit it "might" be possible.

I also think he should not race until the case is resolved.

I do not believe the step mom.

I can't vision Mayfield sitting in his garage with lab coat on, rubbing his hands together, salivating over a bubbling batch of meth. Therefor, if I can't believe part of the story, I can't believe any of the story.

Surprisingly no one except step-mom had any idea he was "heavy" meth user ?

I know some meth users and their problems are obvious.

I don't believe there are "functioning" meth users in the same sense that there are "functioning" alcoholics.

Mabey I'm naive, but I"m still skeptical .

ED GRANEY, (Las Vegas Review-Journal) puts NASCAR drug policy into better words than I can.

NASCAR runs its entire testing program. There are no union employees to help negotiate effective polices, to assure the balance and fairness France amazingly speaks about. There is no transparency to the entire process, no complete list of banned substances provided to drivers.

Why should someone such as Kyle Busch be expected to pick up a telephone every time he is unsure about what he can and can't put into his body?

There is no basis for how results are collected and recorded, no oversight of any kind outside NASCAR suits and their own laboratory, no arbitration procedure for a swift and final resolution, no binding sanctions in place, no avenue for grievance, no route for appeal before someone is suspended indefinitely, no observance of federal guidelines that allow someone 72 hours to have an independent lab test a sealed backup sample in order to challenge a positive result.

It is a system ripe for countless allegations of cover-ups and self-interest verdicts.

This is a case of zero tolerance equaling zero brain cells by those running things.

And you wonder why a federal judge lifted Mayfield's suspension? How in the world did it take more than five minutes to rule, much less two hours of arguments?

"I think (NASCAR's testing program) fails to meet some if not all factors on a list of effective policies," said Travis Tygart, CEO of the United States Anti-Doping Agency. "The (Mayfield case) is an example of what can go horribly wrong without an effective policy. At the end of the day, it's a terrible situation for clean drivers.

"With (Mayfield), you either have someone who got off on a technicality due to a poor policy or someone who was falsely accused, neither of which is fair or acceptable. Clean drivers and their owners ought to be very nervous given this policy and example.

"I'm glad NASCAR has a policy. A few years ago, they didn't. But maybe like others over time, they'll learn the lesson of having a bad one like this and take the necessary steps to make it good. Clean drivers deserve that."

If I'm a motor sports sponsor, I'm equally leery. It's another issue NASCAR needs to recognize: how the Mayfield case might cause those who invest millions of dollars to pause when moving forward. At the least, the sponsors writing hefty checks should be asking more questions.