Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jari Razskazoff

Blue Heeler/Australian Cattle dog

6 posts in this topic

my huntin buddy in so dak has one, there great herders, they have a herd of goats and the dog really protects them and keeps an eye on them

I hunted with one that was crossed with an english pointer (not on purpose of course). This was the best darn non-purebred pointing hunting dog I've ever seen and he was supposedly a great farm dog too.

We have a Blue heeler that just turned three yesterday. He is a very smart dog. One thing I learned about them is that if you want to teach them anything it has to be within the first year. Not sure why. We tried to teach our dog fetch and he didn't really get it, but we never tried really hard either. But when it comes to no begging, jumping, licking, sit stay, etc. it's like it just clicked with him. Tell him something once and he gets it. Another thing is that he is very protective! Nobody will be able to get in a vehicle or house without him letting you know hes there. He won't bite but when the hair on the back of his neck stands up he does look a little mean.

Had a buddy that had one that he could tell to touch the tire and it would with its paw. He would then tell it to touch the rim and sure enough it would put its paw on the rim. That dog also liked to play fetch with itself in the house. It would carry the ball up the stairs get to the top and drop it back down for hours on end. Smart dogs, maybe too smart at times.

Dan