Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Foreverfish1

Preserved Baits

10 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I was at gander last night and I saw a package of preserved shad and other types of minnows. Has anyone ever tried these perserved baits you can buy at gander? Any luck?

Thanks for any replys!

I have caught channels off of preserved shad. I would only use it in a pinch though, I prefer fresh cut bait.

In my experience with preserved shad its been a bust. I prefer fresh cut bait. Dont waste your money on preserved bait. Just my opinion..

In my experience with preserved shad its been a bust.

I agree 100%!

Thanks!

Guess I'll have to skip the preserved baits.

I'm assuming cut suckers are the best cut bait? Could I freeze them for a week then thaw them out and cut them up and still use them with the same effectivness?

I freeze mine all the time and they seem to work fine. You can't send them through too many freeze thaw cycles though or they will turn to mush and the meat will fall off the skin.

Yes when you cut sucker and freeze it, it acts as any meat would...the next time you go to use it, its just as fresh as when you cut it. Bobbymalone is right though, Even if you let it thaw once then re-freeze it, its not as fresh. I have yet to find a better bait than cut sucker for channels(frogs rank right up there too). Good luck foreverfish1.

Thanks for all the help!

Looks like next week will be my first chance to get out after the cats. Can't wait!

I'll post results.

Forever-

Try freezing your suckers whole when they are still alive. This does a couple different things. For one thing the long cold sleep is a pretty peaceful way to dispatch them. sleep Two- Frozen suckers are a lot easier to cut. And three- By freezing them alive the flesh will still bleed out after it's cut and begins to thaw. As far as the re-freeze, I usually can stand to re-freeze one time. After that, my bait gets that "not so fresh feeling." wink I freeze mine in two packs, that way if it's a slow night or I get rained out I only have 2 suckers thawed. Hope this helps you out and good luck stickin' em!!