• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

So what happened to the 2 line in open water proposal?

Gus

Originally Posted By: DHanson
The useage of 2 or more lines in the open water season does not support "sport" fishing and catch and release. That is a FACT.

That sounds to me like an OPINION laugh

If you think this is an opinion, walk around the shoreline of a lake that gets heavily fished around the metro area. Is it an opinion that there are dead fish that are washed up along shore or is it a fact that there are dead fish washed up along shore??????? (or maybe some are floating at the top further out and maybe some are at the bottom)

It's a fact!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: DHanson
The useage of 2 or more lines in the open water season does not support "sport" fishing and catch and release. That is a FACT.

That sounds to me like an OPINION laugh

See the thing with "FACTS" is they need to be supported by data, otherwise you just gave your OPINION.

I can say that fishing with two lines in open water will cause more tangled lines, lost lures, headaches, and laughs and thats a FACT. But is it? I'd sure like to find out but you sure don't want to let me.

I'd still like your OPINION on who we should survey to see if the majority of people (whoever they are) are for or against two lines?

If you think this is an opinion, walk around the shoreline of a lake that gets heavily fished around the metro area. Is it an opinion that there are dead fish that are washed up along shore or is it a fact that there are dead fish washed up along shore??????? (or maybe some are floating at the top further out and maybe some are at the bottom)

It's a fact!

No you just proved that there are dead fish, not why or how.

Couple of more questions, starting with the most valid.

1) Why would the DNR be against the idea, knowing it would bring them additional revenue?

2) How would the stamp be enforced? I've read enough posts on this site to know many folks have TIP on speed dial and aren't hesitant to call it.

3) What kind of financial impact would a stamp really have? With government budgets, 100's of thousands of dollars doesn't go very far.

No you just proved that there are dead fish, not why or how.

Just like everyone else, not willing to take responsibility for your own actions.

I'm not talking big trophy size fish dying of old age, I'm talking some of the smaller ones that don't have teeth marks on them. Or are you going to blame H1N1 now?

Couple of more questions, starting with the most valid.

1) Why would the DNR be against the idea, knowing it would bring them additional revenue?

2) How would the stamp be enforced? I've read enough posts on this site to know many folks have TIP on speed dial and aren't hesitant to call it.

3) What kind of financial impact would a stamp really have? With government budgets, 100's of thousands of dollars doesn't go very far.

I can answer #2 and #3 fairly easily.

2) No different than it is today. If you see me out fishing with one rod, how do you know I have a fishing license? If there are two lines allowed, how do you know I have the two line stamp? Same difference. Until I am physically checked nobody knows. We can take this further and look at truck drivers. Yeah, they probably have a driver's license, but do they have a CDL endorsement? Don't know until they're stopped....just like a fishing license that allows one, two, three, or 30 lines.

3) The auditor estimated that with a $5 two-line stamp an additional $1.2 Million in revenue would be generated....and that's if just 20% of anglers purchase the endorsement. These monies, by law, would have to be placed into the Game and Fish fund because it is money generated by fish and game sources.

What you fail to mention though, is that of that estimated $1.2 Million, a substantial sum will be funneled into the Sky Is Falling MN Outdoorsman Safety Helmet fund, to protect those with soft skulls from the omnipresent threat of horizon collapse, accompanying any ease of hunting or fishing restrictions.

whistle

What you fail to mention though, is that of that estimated $1.2 Million, a substantial sum will be funneled into the Sky Is Falling MN Outdoorsman Safety Helmet fund, to protect those with soft skulls from the omnipresent threat of horizon collapse, accompanying any ease of hunting or fishing restrictions.

whistle

You do make a good point.... grin

The purchase of a stamp/use is easily enforcable, as has been pointed out (This may not be a fact though, soemone should check... ;)).

Roll the Walleye stamp/Two line stamp into one, charge 10 bucks for it and use half the revenue for stocking (not just walleyes but everything) and use the other half to outfit everyone with "Falling Sky helmets"!

I'm not in favor of allowing two lines during the summer months but I could easily yield my position if there was a stamp or other use fee to offset some of the cost to the fishery.

I'm not in favor of a walleye stamp though. We have been employing stocking programs for decades with the budget we have. If there isn't enough then just raise the license fee otherwise what's next? A stamp for northern, another for largemouth, another for smallmouth, another for black crappies, another for white crappies, another for pumpkinseed, another for bluegill, another for.....

I've always thought a trout stamp was a little off the wall but can understand to some degree because trout stocking is only feasible in a small portion of our system.

If extra income is the issue or is needed for fisherys-

What would the effect of raising the license cost too say 20.50 (so a $2 raise) be to the net income? I would say much much greater than any type of voluntary stamp. I work in a bait store and have sold at least 100 fishing licenses since opener, not one walleye stamp though. Even at $20.50, that is very reasonable IMO to fish for a whole year. Heck it costs more to go turkey hunting for 5 days and no one complains.

Just a thought?