• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

522c powers off

HNTNBUX

Question

I had a LMS 480 mounted on my boat installed by the dealer that works fine but upgraded to the 522c. I installed the 522c to the same power wires that the 480 was hooked to. Everything has worked well so far except when I start the main motor the unit shuts off and I have to turn it back on and then reset the GPS. Any ideas?

7 answers to this question

Your starting battery is weak and the voltage is dropping when you crank the motor, that's why your 522c is turning off. You could check the connections and possibly replace your in-line fuse holder to an automotive blade style instead of a glass tube style ...... but my money is on the starting battery. You could have it load tested to be sure.

Thanks guys. I noticed this weekend that it will start without shutting off if I turn the display to a dimmer setting so that must be the case. As much as I hate to buy the fifth starting battery for this boat I am glad that I did not mess up the install.

Thanks

I though getting a new higher cranking amp starting battery would fix my problem of my lcx-27 shutting off when I turned over the key----but it didnt.

My graph was wired to an acc switch on the dash of my lund fisherman. Since all the wiring on the dash goes through a fuse block, somewhere along the line, starting the motor drew down too much power and the graph would shut off. The graph voltage status never really exceeded 11v off the dash switch.

Since I needed more acc switches for other things, I installed a separate switch block (purchased from the big C store) that was hooked directly to the starter batt and hooked up the graph to it. My voltage now reads 13v or better and is not affected by starting the big motor. Essentially, hooking the power to directly to the battery fixed the problem for me. Something to check into before replacing a battery that may/may not be bad.

HNTNBUX -

Chances are your 522 is much more sensitive to voltage

spikes than your 480 was. I have found that my life is

much more relaxing if I go through my boats electrical

connections every spring. Replacing switches often does

wonders, since most of us cannot buy "good" switches

meant for marine use. Marine applications are really

harsh uses for the cheap, Chinese switches we are all

now forced to buy, and they leak moisture into them.

The combination of tin, zinc, lead, etc. in these

switches is a recipe for corrosion when coupled with

moisture. Mind you - SEALED switches using these same

ingredients work fine for many years. But, we buy what we

buy because we HAVE to - that's all that is available.

The odd thing about electricity is that while a

connection may "ohm" good with a meter (trivial

current flow), that same connection may prove

defective once real-world current is being drawn.

Clean ALL connections (even those that SEEM good),

then try again. Electron flow is stranger-than-fiction.

Your starting battery is weak and the voltage is dropping when you crank the motor, that's why your 522c is turning off. You could check the connections and possibly replace your in-line fuse holder to an automotive blade style instead of a glass tube style ...... but my money is on the starting battery. You could have it load tested to be sure.

I agree, I have heard of guys even installing another battery to avoid this problem... Sometimes even though the starting battery is good, the locator will shut off because of the current draw from the starter...