• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Transducer mounting

hookjunior

Question

I just bought a new lowrance 510C, got it mounted on sunday and took it out for a trial run tonight. It was working fine bought I couldn't get it to read at top speed. It seems like my motor throws a lot of water up the transom, not sure if thats the problem or if I just need to mount it in a different spot. I know the book says the center of the transducer should be even with the bottom of the boat just wondering where everybody has had the best luck with mounting them. Also wondering if anybody can tell what settings work best for them on the 510c, should I leave everything on auto or what?

4 answers to this question

It sounds like you have it mounted in the right spot vertically, but may have to move it side to side to find some "clean" water. Is there a rib on the hull that is right in front of it? You may need to offset it from a rib or just move it away from the motor a little if you have it close to the center of the boat. Sometimes you can tilt the transducer forward one notch and that helps too if you have the skimmer style.

I experienced this last month with my new Lund and I spent two hours out on the river adjusting it up and down a little and tilting it all different ways. None of that helped. I determined that the rivets running across the bottom of the transom may have been causing turbulence all along the bottom edge of the boat. I went to move it down a little further than is recommended, and the installer hadn't left any room to move it down so I had to redrill and lower it about a quarter of an inch. These were the same bozos who put the wrong motor on my boat back in May so I wasn't too suprised (not to be too bitter). Anyway, the ducer works much better now at higher speeds. Someone else had a great idea - have a friend look down while running at high speeds and see where the "clean" water is off the back.

Live and learn -

Want it done right the first time ????

Fish-Lectronics, Pequot Lakes, MN.

This guy rigs boats for Al & Ron Lindner,

Gary Roach, Nisswa Guides League, etc, etc.

I used to work for him - and he's a master

at his craft.