Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
upnorth

True heroes in my book

6 posts in this topic

From the DNT

Sad to hear about this kinda stuff but these two are two honest to God heroes!!

Quote:
Witnesses say two Grand Rapids men who drowned in Itasca County rescued a boy struggling in Pokegama Lake before the men went under.

Nathan Junker, 30, and Albert Hermiston, 63, were supervising a youth group outing at the lake for Faith Baptist Church in Grand Rapids when one of the boys was carried out too far in the water and wasn’t wearing a life jacket, said Hermiston’s daughter-in-law, Shawna Hermiston.

Hermiston said her father-in-law, who had volunteered with the youth group for several years, gave his life jacket to Junker, the youth pastor of the church, who swam it out to the boy. But Hermiston said Junker began struggling, so her father-in-law went out to help him. The boy was eventually able to swim to safety.

Hermiston was found Sunday; Junker’s body was found Monday.

The Sheriff’s Office got a call Sunday evening about two men struggling in the water. Witnesses said some young people were on a house boat when the wind picked up and waves grew to about 3-foot swells.

They say one young person was struggling in the water when the two men went out to help him. The youth made it to safety, but the men did not.

Sounds like a couple of guys with the right stuff for sure. R.I.P. to those lost. Giving ones life for another can never be repaid. Heroes indeed in my book. Prayers sent to the family and friends of these two great men.

These are the true heros in the world. My thoughts go to their familys.

I didn't know them personally, though I had met the youth leader once. I have several family friends that go to Faith Baptist, and I talked to a couple of them. They said they were absolutely first-class people (as you can tell by their actions that day) that lived for everyone but themselves. With all the crud going on these days, it's good to know that people like that are still out there. God be with their families, friends, and loved ones

I agree with hero in this circumstance, the question that keeps bugging me is, why were they out there on a windy day, everyone knows what that lake is like when it's windy, why was the chance taken?