• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

LEAD CORE AND PLANER BOARDS

DREZLER

I HAVE A COUPLE RODS STRUNG UP WITH A FULL 10 COLORS OF LEAD CORE. MY QUESTION IS IF ANY OF YOU GUYS EVER CLIP YOUR PLANER BOARD CLIPS DIRECTLY ONTO THE LEAD. I'VE HEARD THAT IT CAN WEAKEN THE LEAD, BUT I'VE ALSO HEARD OF PEOPLE DOING IT WITH NO PROBLEMS. I AM REALLY NOT INTERESTED IN SEGMENTING MY LEAD CORE. CAN ANYONE SPEAK FROM EXPERIENCE ON THIS TOPIC?

It is recommended not to clip to the lead core. I have done it a couple of times in the early season to Larvik releases off of board lines and have not seen any ill effects. I would think if you set inlines not to release you may be ok as well.

I have ran the two quite a bit, and where the planer board clips to the leadcore the fabric can wear off eventually exposing the lead. I haven't noticed decreased strength, although over time I imagine it can happen. Leadcore is one of my favorite fishing techniques, and adding planer boards makes it even more enjoyable.

I haven't seen any excess wear from running lighter releases on the leadcore. The problem is more that you'll break the lead filament that runs through the line and get wear(unseen from within) that will decrease the lines overall strength. A larger pinch pad with rubber grips can alleviate some of the problem like a cannon type downrigger type release. More surface area to put less stress on the line. I have seen guys run rubber bands to the line and attach the release to that, causing the band to break but you still run the risk of breaking the filament. For most walleye applications the dacron will be plenty strong even when slightly frayed to reel in a larger fish. It is when you have a muskie, pike, salmon or trout that you'll risk losing a large fish and of course, the bigger piggy walleyes that you are after. I have also seen where you thread a small piece of surgical tubing onto the line and clamp the release onto the tubing which reduces the amount of stress on the filament and the dacron. Hope this helps.

Tunrevir~