• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Onions going to seed

BobT

I'd try and clip them so the plant can focus its energy to making a bulb. The big issue is that you will need to consume the onions that flowered right away when harvested, onions store very poorly once they flower.

Did you plant sets?? They must have been temperature stressed improperly prior to planting. Planting seeds or live plants is the best way to avoid early flowering sets.

I'd try and clip them so the plant can focus its energy to making a bulb. The big issue is that you will need to consume the onions that flowered right away when harvested, onions store very poorly once they flower.

Did you plant sets?? They must have been temperature stressed improperly prior to planting. Planting seeds or live plants is the best way to avoid early flowering sets.

Exactly right.I plant plants instead of sets,but next year when you buy them.....pick out the smallest ones.They are less likely to go to seed.Onions are a bi-annual.....meaning they produce seed the second year of growth.So your onions grew to much last fall and are now in their second year.Plus by buying small ones by the pound you get more.

Also planting in early May has nothing to do with them going to seed..I try to get onions in the ground as early as possible.Onions are light sensitive.They start to bulb when days are at their longest.Right now.

Which is why we have to grow long day onions here and not the short day ones like Vidalia and Texas 1015's.The larger the top growth when we hit these long daylight hours.....,the larger the bulb will be at that time.So get them in the ground as early as possible.....they are tough and will evem grow with snow on them.