Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BobT

Transplanting peonies?

7 posts in this topic

My sister has asked if she could get a few starters from our peony plants. We have three different colors available. What is the best way to do this? Does she just need some clippings, seed bulbs, or do we need to dig up a root for her?

Thanks,

I'm not an expert but have done this before. We just split the plants/roots using a shovel and transplanted. I don't think the transplanted plant flowered the first year but has every year since.

Yup, my folks split theirs all the time and sell them at a garage sale (they have lots). Just split the root wad with a shovel or big knife. More than likely won't flower the first year, as mentioned.

ditto on everything they said. It will take at least 1 year maybe 2 before they get happy again.

Do you split the plant while its in the ground or pull the whole thing, split it and replant both halves?

I would imagine it will be best to do this in fall after they're done for the year? They are in full bloom now, making the whole yard smell like a perfume bottle.

Its best done before memorial day or after labor day. Avoid hot and dry spells.