• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

‘move-over’ law for boaters effective July 1

wayne123

First I heard of this so I thought I would pass it along.

Source: Minnesota DNR HSOforum

News Releases

New ‘move-over’ law for boaters effective July 1

(Released June 29, 2009)

A new Minnesota law requiring boaters to stay clear of enforcement watercraft with their emergency lights flashing goes into effect on July 1. The so-called move-over law is intended to provide the same protection for watercraft enforcement officers as similar laws do for police, State Patrol and other emergency response personnel.

The new law states, “When approaching and passing a law enforcement watercraft with its emergency lights activated, the operator of a watercraft must safely move the watercraft away from the law enforcement watercraft and maintain a slow-no wake speed while within 150 feet of the law enforcement watercraft.”

“Waves generated by other boats speeding nearby makes it difficult and dangerous for emergency responders in watercraft. They must be able to render aid safely to an injured victim in the water and perform their other enforcement duties,” said DNR Enforcement Chief, Col. Jim Konrad. “The move-over law will help ensure the safety of officers and the boaters they contact.”

Quote “Waves generated by other boats speeding nearby makes it difficult and dangerous for emergency responders in watercraft. They must be able to render aid safely to an injured victim in the water and perform their other enforcement duties,”

Whaaa! Whaaa!

If they can not handle the waves from the wake of a boat they should not be on the water. That being said I don't disagree that they should be given a fair distance. Isn't it already illigal to operate a boat on plane within 150 feet of another?

slow no wake speeed??? 8 mph on a 30 foot bayliner will make 2 foot waves.. i would rather a bass boat pass me at 70 mph than a ski boat going 5 mph in my canoe.. its probably one of the few reasonable laws.. land of 10,001 laws!! whooohoooo

No wake speed is whatever speed your boat does NOT throw a wake. That may 1 mph for a cruiser or 5 mph for a 14 ft lund.

Whatever it takes.

It makes perfect sense to me and one of those laws that has to be made to point out what common sense should already be telling us. IMHO.

No wake speed is whatever speed your boat does NOT throw a wake. That may 1 mph for a cruiser or 5 mph for a 14 ft lund.

Whatever it takes.

It makes perfect sense to me and one of those laws that has to be made to point out what common sense should already be telling us. IMHO.

Well said.

IMO it makes perfect sense and therefore no law should be needed. Why wouldn't you pull over law or not? But becuase of a few idoits that didn't pull over we now have yet another law.

Originally Posted By: Wanderer

IMO it makes perfect sense and therefore no law should be needed. Why wouldn't you pull over law or not? But becuase of a few idoits that didn't pull over we now have yet another law.

Agreed, you shouldn't need laws for this. But there are too many idiots with no common sense. I have no problem with this law, it should be that way.

So toughguy, if you were already going to slow down and keep clear, why is it even an issue?

I don't think he was arguing with it, just saying it should be common sense to pull over is all. Too bad we need laws cause people are too dumb to use their heads.

Originally Posted By: riverrat56
So toughguy, if you were already going to slow down and keep clear, why is it even an issue?

I don't think he was arguing with it, just saying it should be common sense to pull over is all. Too bad we need laws cause people are too dumb to use their heads.

Too true. It's painfully obvious on the highways when Police, Paramedics etc. have the lights on and people don't pull over for the authorities. I've even seen a guy follow the cop 50ft. away in traffic to avoid the congestion. It's unfortunate that we need such laws, but you can't teach stupid.

Whatever it takes.

Here's the problem that I see with this law.

Suppose I'm cruising along on plane at 30mph when I encounter an emergency vehicle coming toward me. If I stay up on plane my wake is nearly non-existant however, when I see the emergency vehicle and immediately throttle back to slow down to no-wake speed, my boat begins to plow water and create not only a wake but almost enough to surf on. Now, the emergency vehicle has to cross my over-grown wake rather than just the minimal one I was creating while cruising.

I encounter this all the time while fishing at anchor. Some guy comes cruising along at high speed and thinking he's doing me a favor he slows down to about 10-15mph. Most boats plow water at this speed and create probably the largest wake they possibly can. I'd much rather the guy blow buy me at 40mph instead.

Seems to me the law is creating the very problem it is intended to minimize.

It's a good idea and a good law. My point is that there are so many laws these days that wouldn't be needed if people would just use thier heads. It's getting to the point where there are so many laws that it's impossible to know if you're actually breaking any anymore.

Source: Minnesota Boating Guide:

"No wake means operating your boat at the slowest possible

speed necessary to maintain steerage, but in no case

greater than five miles-per-hour"

Depending on conditions you may have to go slower or faster to maintain steerage. I would say in genral 5 mph in a 14 foot boat is too fast for no wake speed.

In no wake zones I always see how slow I can go and hold my course. It is a little fun and helps past the time getting through the zone.

Keep in mind "common sense" is not "common knowledge". To me it is obvious that you should slow down and make no wake near emergency situations. Someone who has little experience boating may not know.

The key is in the wording "must safely move the watercraft away from the law enforcement watercraft".

Perhaps in some situations you continute your present speed longer than other situations until you slow to no wake speed.

Honestly guys how often is this new rule actually going to have an effect on you and your fishing trips, pretty sure this is intended for the mindless pleasure boaters out there.

I don't see Law enforcement with people pulled over very often like maybe once every couple years, some of you may see it more based on the waters you fish but I'm sure it still not that often.

We as fisherman should have enough common sense to know these kind of things without a new law.

It also might be intended partly for when a patrol boat is pulled over checking a boat. Helping to keep bigger wakes away from them (via staying farther away, or no wake speed) it minimzes the damage potential when the patrol is right against the stopped boat. I was water patrol special deputy for a short time in Henn. Cnty. and those wakes can make two boats bounce together pretty good out on Tonka. I wasn't afraid of it, and the sheriffs are not "not able to handle it" as someone said above. It just makes it easier and safer on all parties, especially the stopped party, especially when not all boats are cheap old boats like mine wink Just my two cents though, and I am not part of any patrol nowadays...

Common sense.

Agreed. This law isn't very stringent, it's similar to the laws already in effect for passing a boat pulling skiers, any boat that is anchored, or shoreline/protected areas. They are out there doing important work, leave them to what allows them to do their job best.

Well, since I'm one of those emergency responders (Fire Dept) that cover Lake Minnetonka- I'm gonna share a few thoughts.

Quote:
A new Minnesota law requiring boaters to stay clear of enforcement watercraft with their emergency lights flashing goes into effect on July 1.

This is the first I've heard of the new law but it appears to only apply when the emergency lights are on, fellas.

Quote:
The new law states, “When approaching and passing a law enforcement watercraft with its emergency lights activated, the operator of a watercraft must safely move the watercraft away from the law enforcement watercraft and maintain a slow-no wake speed while within 150 feet of the law enforcement watercraft.”

Heck, the way it's written - it doesn't appear to even cover the the Fire Department boats.... nice.

Quote:
“Waves generated by other boats speeding nearby makes it difficult and dangerous for emergency responders in watercraft. They must be able to render aid safely to an injured victim in the water and perform their other enforcement duties,” said DNR Enforcement Chief, Col. Jim Konrad. “The move-over law will help ensure the safety of officers and the boaters they contact.”

The above emphasis is mine.

The various fire departments usually respond along with law enforcement to all boat accidents, boat fires or reports of boats/boaters in distress throughout Minnesota (Particularly, in Hennepin County). In the case of an accident, the boat traffic and resulting wakes may have a direct impact on our ability to provide patient care and effectively immobilize someone prior to removal from the water... and also while they're being transported to shore. That's important. Especially, if someone has a back or spinal injury. Trust me, if it ever happens to you.... you'll appreciate it.

There are often posts here from guys complaining of the large boat wakes, being buzzed by jetskiers and various types of problems - and we're often preaching to the choir here. I hate it too, guys. If that's annoying while fishing, imagine what it's like when you're the emergency responder trying to help someone who really needs it. All the while, everybody out there wants to get as close as they can to see what's happening (gawkers- it's just like the car accidents we work on the roadways).

The new law - I guess it seems pretty reasonable to me, fellas. wink

Whaaa! Whaaa!

If they can not handle the waves from the wake of a boat they should not be on the water. That being said I don't disagree that they should be given a fair distance. Isn't it already illigal to operate a boat on plane within 150 feet of another?

Eyedjim, How much boating do you really do? If you go out on 80% of the lakes in wright county, NO BODY slows down for anything. No one in wright county it seems reads the boating rules. go out this weekend and see how many guys fly withinh 125ft of you. I have written 2 letters to the waterpatrol about these type of issues. If your anchored up fishing, the nit wits on Pulaski, clearwater, and sylvia/twin will drive as close to you as they can. Calling it a walleye chop. mad I have my own chop 20# test fireline with a 2oz sinker. Ready or not here it comes. Like Uncle Alice C. says NO MORE MISTER NICE GUY!!!! shocked I'm fishing from an 17ft boat.

One of the waterpatrol cops said "they will on the lakes at many different hours from now on."