Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fish-n-fool

Jeep Grand Cherokee.... "tick" sound

6 posts in this topic

I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee and there is a ticking sound

coming from the area of the alternator. It isn't a consistant loudness or speed. (I know it's not a bomb).. It may sound louder and faster when you step on the gas, and then it will turn quiet. When you're idling, it will be a consistant "tick".. Can't pinpoint exactly where it's coming from, but know it's at the alternator or below. Just had the alternator replaced in Feb. and the ohmmeter indicates it's ok.

Any input is GREATLY appreciated......Thanks...... smilesmile

belt tensioner or idle pulley could be going out. can you take the belt off and spin the alt, water pump, etc to see if you can hear it without the engine running? one other thing you can do is with the belt off, run the engine for a very short time to see if the noise is there or not. do not run for very long as you wont have the water pump turning but you can isolate it from the engine or the pulley's and other parts. good luck

I had a ticking this past spring that turned out to be chunks missing out of the AC belt. Once I put a new one on, no more ticking.

Thanks guys... will check it out when I get home. Will keep you

posted.

got the skivvy on the Jeep.. it was the serpentine belt. Has a little hole or chip in it and made the 'tick' sound on every rotation. Thanks for your help though... gringrin