• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

new setup what line to use??

rattlem'up

I just bought an abu garcia ambassaduer 6600 CB with and 8' King Kat MH rod. I was thinking about spooling on some 50# code red spiderwire, is that a good line to use or should i go with something else instead? any opinions? Also would you recommend 50# or should i bump up to 65? Seems like a lot of people on here like power pro.

thanks

Mostly it depends on what you want to use the rig for. Strictly channels? Then yes 50lb is fine. Channels and Flats mixed? Then I would bump up to 65. Mostly Flats? I would bump up again to 80lb.

Most super braids are good. Some have more favorable characteristics, but for the most part they are about the same. You really need to pay attention to any nicks and or fraying on the line. They are prone to breaking after some abuse.

As far as brands, everyone has a favorite, and PowerPro has caught a LOT of big fish. Last year I switched over to Sufix and have really liked it. It is rounder, casts smoother, doesn’t bleed the dye as much, and seems to be a little more abrasive friendly than the competition.

I would also recommend going with a High Visibility line. If you are going to be fishing in the dark it makes a big difference. When your line is laying in the bottom of the boat all tangled up at 11:00pm with a big fish flopping around it is nice to be able to see your line so you can get it untangled and back in the water quickly to catch another BIG one.

Last year I switched over to Sufix and have really liked it. It is rounder, casts smoother, doesn’t bleed the dye as much, and seems to be a little more abrasive friendly than the competition.

I had 65lb Suffix on up to this year....I now switched to PP, and will be switching BACK to Suffix. I like Suffix way better.

I have power pro on all my big reels, except for my c3 garcia which has stren on it. I like the pp better as the stren seems to tangle easier than the pp. I bought the same reel as you did, and will load it with pp but will go with the 80 lb rather than 65 on the other one.

I started using 80lb. tuf-line XP this year and really enjoy it. The rest of my reels are 80 lb. Cortland MasterBraid. If your doing most of your fishing at night the high-vis offerings from different manufacturers might suit you well.

Thanks for the info guys. I will be using this rod for mainly flatheads and channels. I have 50# berkely fireline fusion in yellow on my king kat spincast. I've gotten into a few snags and its hard to break, but havn't caught a big enough flathead to test the strength that way. How does the line on the PP and the suffix stand up? Does it get a fuzzy look to the line at all? The fireline is starting to look like that. Just doesn't look strong anymore.

I would also recommend going with a High Visibility line. If you are going to be fishing in the dark it makes a big difference. When your line is laying in the bottom of the boat all tangled up at 11:00pm with a big fish flopping around it is nice to be able to see your line so you can get it untangled and back in the water quickly to catch another BIG one.

Steve I had to laugh at the idea of a line company using your idea as a way to market HI-Vis line. I can see the commercials now, some poor guy in the dark all tangled up in fishing line... grin

I'm personally not a big fan of fireline. I would prefer HiViz #80 Sufix or PP. Plus they don't friz up like fireline does or not as much from what I've noticed. Breaking it off can be a little tough but have a dowel is very hand. Just wrap it around a few times and a sharp pull should break it easier for ya. If you search for catfishing tips steve has it on there.

I switched all of my cat poles to 80# Suffix this season. I had use PP and the Hi Vis line seem to have some breaking issues with the 65# line.

It did seem that I had to change the way I casted with the Suffix as it seems a little smoother and wanted to try and backlash on me. I now just thumb the spool a bit more.

I have been very happy with the Suffix line.

I have also spooled up 1 rod with a new line but I have not used it enough give a fair review but to date I have been very happy with that line also.

Originally Posted By: MinnesnowtaWild
I had problems tying knots with PowerPro.

Really? how so? I thought PP was pretty easy to tie as it hold its shape well when looping back on Uni knots.

I had trouble getting the knots to tighten down most of the time and Suffix rarely gives me that issue.

I've been running tuff line and some berkley fusion the TF is 50lb and 65lb and the BF is 80lb I really like the 80 fusion its kinda of a coated braid and strong, the TF has really done me well the last few times out the last two 40 inch plus cats were hauled in with 50lb and a ABU 5500