• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Quick Quiz.

I know as a deer hunter we all have hunted through all kind of elements, but as an archer with a longer season I have a question.

If you would have to give up on 1 weather related hunting situation, which of the following would it be?

1. Temperatures above 80.

2. Winds up to and exceeding 25 mph.

3. Light to consistant rain.

4. Frequent down pours, with breaks.(10 minutes of rain, 20 min breaks)

5. Heavy snowfall.

6. Sleet.

7. Trick answer, all Holidays with family and friends.

Thanks for playing along, remember you have to choose 1 and 1 only.

#4 because I don't want to shoot a deer, have it run off, and then have the rain wash out the blood trail and me not find it.

My answer exactly. Even with a heavy snow blood (and tracks)can be seen for quite a while.

I'd also go with #4, no sense in shooting a deer if you can't track it. I've sat through plenty of rain over the years as long as its light or if it rains hard for a short period I will tough it out but if you are talking constant downpours, I probably won't be out hunting. However, its a great time to scout as you don't leave much scent behind.

I know as a deer hunter we all have hunted through all kind of elements, but as an archer with a longer season I have a question.

If you would have to give up on 1 weather related hunting situation, which of the following would it be?

1. Temperatures above 80.

2. Winds up to and exceeding 25 mph.

3. Light to consistant rain.

4. Frequent down pours, with breaks.(10 minutes of rain, 20 min breaks)

5. Heavy snowfall.

6. Sleet.

7. Trick answer, all Holidays with family and friends.

Thanks for playing along, remember you have to choose 1 and 1 only.

#2, hands down! Wind is the by far the worst! All the other scenarios are fairly temporary and you can still at least get some action, but wind keeps them bedded tight and is also a safty hazard for the hunter.

#4, I always worry about tracking a shot deer, and finding the deer is the most important part. I really really hate the heat but ive seing some dandy bucks when its hot

#4 for sure! Washed out blood trail equals lost deer. Thats what happened to me. I shot a doe thru both lungs in light to drizzle rain, after waiting 30 minutes go look and can't find any blood.

Go back to cabin get four more people to look and nothing found.

Next morning, same amount of trackers and couldn't find no blood or any sign. 6 hours of tracking. The night after I shot the doe, it rained real hard so that really cleaned any blood that was there.

I saw the arrow go right thru the doe and it had to leave a good amount of blood, but thanks to the rain, nutttin!

I just don;t go when its windy, hot, or raining anymore!

For me ita a tie.

#1- I don't hunt in the heat as the meat will spoil to fast. I do have some good spots near water holes and they can be an awesome spot to harvest a nice deer early in the season.

I don't hunt in heavy rain as Its a very good chance I will not find the deer unless its a perfect shot, like in the spine to drop the deer in its spot it stands.

I would probably hunt in the heat long before in the rain if I had to hunt in one of them.

But, I would not.

I don't like #1 or #4 very well, but if I have to give one up I'd probably say #4. I guess it depends on your definition of downpour, but most downpours I've ever been hunting in have sent me out of the stand.

#2 can be very good hunting depending on the topography of your spots & if it's the right direction to get you to a protected spot near a food source. Also great still hunting conditions, especially for standing corn. Granted I'd rather it not be that windy...

There are solutions for all the rest but when its hot, its hot! Especially chasing elk, the 80s make for tough hunting, they bed early and stay there late. Bust them out and they're gone.

For the rest, just have to pick your shots wisely (hold if you hace to) or have your equipment in shape like treating feathers so rain doesn't effect performance.

I don't want to start an ethics war or anything but taking a shot on a deer in heavy rain can turn into a bad situation. Even on a perfect double lung shot a deer can run 100 to 200+ yards. Sure sometimes they go 20-50 yards and drop in sight, I have even had some stand there and drop in their tracks but before the shot you can never predict what is going to happen. There is also go gaurantee that your shot will land where you are aiming every time, no matter how good of a shot you are.

Now like I said I don't want to start a war and you are free to hunt when and how you want but for any new bow hunters out there its not the best idea to be hunting in a heavy rain.