Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Scott M

Elm Oyster Mushroom

3 posts in this topic

Was with a friend at the lake last week and he found an elm oyster mushroom. Debugged it and put it in the freezer. Didn't get a picture, but we had his old man make sure it was the right kind of 'shroom. What's the best way to prepare these?

When is the best time to hunt these mushrooms? Are there many lookalike imposters?

Other than morels and puffballs, I wouldn't eat anything else unless I was with someone who knew all about um. Well there was that YES concert about 30 years ago...

Was with a friend at the lake last week and he found an elm oyster mushroom. Debugged it and put it in the freezer. Didn't get a picture, but we had his old man make sure it was the right kind of 'shroom. What's the best way to prepare these?

When is the best time to hunt these mushrooms? Are there many lookalike imposters?

Oysters occur from spring to fall. they are not season specific. They pop a couple days after a hard rain. A lot of people add them to pasta dishes.

there are a few look alikes, so i'd recommend finding a good field guide.

I'd rank it behind the morel and chicken of the woods, but ahead of the puffball.