Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rippinlip

New rims and tire issues?

12 posts in this topic

I just went out and purchased some rims and tires for my 2008 Polaris Sportsman 500.

They are 27" Mud Lites on 14" rims and I was wondering if this will put some extra stress on my machine anywhere?

Ride nice, just wondering if I need to keep a closer eye on any mechanicals, steering rods, knuckles, any advice would be appreciated.

Mark

i would guess the majority of the stress would be centered around the belt and clutch. may want to look into a clutch kit to make it easier on belts. if your going to be going threw thick deep mud or alot of snow i would really look at a clutch kit. if your just crusing probley not so much.

I just went out and purchased some rims and tires for my 2008 Polaris Sportsman 500.

They are 27" Mud Lites on 14" rims and I was wondering if this will put some extra stress on my machine anywhere?

Ride nice, just wondering if I need to keep a closer eye on any mechanicals, steering rods, knuckles, any advice would be appreciated.

Mark

Looks to me you already know what to watch for. But like Tyler mentioned, alot of the stress will depend on how you ride it.

Let's see some pics once you get the wheels mounted.

It looks awesome in my opinion, I am having issues with Photobucket, otherwise I would post some pictures.

The rear axles have always been a weak point. With 27 and being a 500 you should be fine. Wheel bearing tend to wear faster with big and more aggressive tires.

Not to hyjack this post, but I have a 08 sportsman 800 and was wondering how big of a tire can be put on without adding a lift kit or to much stress.

i know that high lifter was selling different a arms so you can run 28 with out a lift kit. I personaly would not go with any bigger then 27 unless you don't mind the possibility of tearing up axles.

I'm running 27's on a Sportsman 700. If I had to do it again I wouldn't go over 26" The extra 1/2" of ground clearance is nothing compared to loss of performance from the bigger diameter and heavier weight of the tires. I have no clearance issues without a lift kit but you can't go over 9" wide on the front without rubbing on the tie rod ends.

The 800 came stock with 26" PXT tires. I am going to try them thru the winter. How are the mudlites as far as just trail riding and work? I use it mostly ice fishing, but want to do some more trail riding. Not realy a deep mud kind of guy.

IncomingDownloads001-1.jpg

Hope this picture works.

Little muddy, had to try them out!

Nice, can I ask why you went with 14" rims instead of staying with the stock size? Did you want less of a side wall?

Actually, I had no plans to buy anything but just rims, found this deal on a web site and I could not turn it down for the price and it was a perfect match.

Got lucky I guess.