Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishuhalik

? about current unemployment rates

93 posts in this topic

I'm currently a manager at a large lawncare company, and this spring the recession hit us pretty good. We ended up having to cut several people since our revenue stream had dwindled quite a bit. Well, since then our business has increased quite a bit, we're almost back to our customer count from 3 years ago!

We ended up trying something. Instead of hiring more people again, we decided to see if we could do the same work with fewer people. Turns out we can, and not at a cost to service or quality. We're now turning higher profit margains than ever. I've always believed that this is possible in 99% of companies out there, and now that businesses are forced to cut people and make those that remain more efficient, I'd imagine companies are realizing that they can do more work with less employees.

Here's my question. Are companies really gonna start hiring more people once this recession is over? Why not just put more work on fewer, better-performing people? We never thought we could do the workload we're doing right now with the staff we have. Now that we realize we can we'll never be back to the same staff we were at. If that's the case, it's gonna be a looong time till we pull out of these unemployment numbers.

I think a lot of companies are doing this and I doubt they will hire back when the business gets back to normal. Not good times for a lot. Also, the folks that do stay work their tails off to make sure they stay employed so you get a lot more work out of your employees now.

It's all cyclical and eventually will come around.

Most people are pushing hard to just keep a job but its an unsustainable productivity curve, eventually burn out and injury's happen and the curve flattens out.

Most people are pushing hard to just keep a job but its an unsustainable productivity curve, eventually burn out and injury's happen and the curve flattens out.

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!! We have a winner. You nailed it Muskiefool.

I work in a sheet metal shop running press brakes and turret presses. Our materials (steel, copper, stainless and aluminum) weigh anywhere from 2 lbs per blank to 90 lbs per. We've experienced a lot of cuts since the telecom industry tanked in 2001 and haven't hired any people since. We've actually lost more from people quitting.

Here's the deal. We now have no extra people for surge capacity or when someone takes PTO or is moved into other projects. That leaves one person to be handling 2 machines, and in my case running material weights at the high end of the spectrum in our shop. One person to run machines, shake out parts (like throwing around a 90 lb teenager), deburring and performing secondary operations. Plain and simple, it can't be done when we're required to run the machines at 100% (speed).

To top things off, our bright programmers are now programming more jobs into smaller blanks, decreasing our material utilization and increasing our scrap. Not to mention there's far less continuous operation of the machines and not allowing the operators to keep up with their work.

The more we have to change out blanks in the machine, the less time they're running and the less money we're making as a shop.

The bottom line here is with the insurmountable cuts we've experienced over the past 8 years, people have become overburdoned with work load coupled with incompetent management. Moral is shot in the arse and now no one cares about their jobs or the work they do.

Get ready Mexico and China, here comes our jobs because no one cares.

We have 4 mechanics that cover 5-24 hour shifts a week in a 40 tractor trailer fleet. We just can't get everything done. There are some tractor trailers on the road that really shouldn't be.

Yeah companies try this a lot. It works for about a year or so, then the good people who you shoveled all the extra work on their back get out for better money and conditions, or just burn out.

Enjoy it while you can, because it is really unsustainable.

A little over a year ago I left a position I had for upwards of 10 years for a different job with a different employer in a different industry. I took a cut in benefits and a HUGE cut in pay.....and I've never been happier.

Go ahead and work the snot out of your people. You can only kick a loyal dog so many times. Eventually the loyal dog will run away. Some dogs will rip your arm off, then run away.

Sorry boys. Stop your whining and get to work. If you don't like how your employer does it then put your own money up and run a business the way you want. They put the money up so they have the right to make a profit.

Nobodies whining. I'm all for someone forking up the money, taking the risk, and starting their own business. They take the risk so they should get the reward.

I do get to work, and I work my hinder off. The business owner, if he's half way worth anything, will realize the best asset he has is good happy empolyees.

I am interviewing for a new job tomorrow pretty much because of burn out. Where I work your reward for doing a good job is a bigger work load, more responsibilities, more stress, less time off and no more money.

My 2 cents? There are a ton of people working their tails off like Sandman said to stay employed. I also see there are tons of great highly skilled and hard working people out there struggling to find any kind of work.

I just changed jobs to be a better all around position. I am told every day at work there will always be a work for great skilled people. Employers are simply keeping the best and cutting some of the rest. And by no means am I saying that they aren't any hard working extremely knowledgeable and highly experienced people having their jobs cut.

Employers are simply learning new ways to get the most of their best staff. You will definitely have some burn out if you over load your people. I would hope all companies learn what positions are a waste of money. I really believe companies are being forced to learn what they really need for staff or they are bleeding money.

I'm currently a manager at a large lawncare company, and this spring the recession hit us pretty good. We ended up having to cut several people since our revenue stream had dwindled quite a bit. Well, since then our business has increased quite a bit, we're almost back to our customer count from 3 years ago!

We ended up trying something. Instead of hiring more people again, we decided to see if we could do the same work with fewer people. Turns out we can, and not at a cost to service or quality. We're now turning higher profit margains than ever. I've always believed that this is possible in 99% of companies out there, and now that businesses are forced to cut people and make those that remain more efficient, I'd imagine companies are realizing that they can do more work with less employees.

Here's my question. Are companies really gonna start hiring more people once this recession is over? Why not just put more work on fewer, better-performing people? We never thought we could do the workload we're doing right now with the staff we have. Now that we realize we can we'll never be back to the same staff we were at. If that's the case, it's gonna be a looong time till we pull out of these unemployment numbers.

I'm guessing at some point your company will add more people. Unless of course your company is happy with never growing its business beyond your current size. My guess is that some of your competitors that were not able to get lean enough to survive will have customers out there looking for service. If you want to increase your market share and snatch up some of that business you'll need to grow and add employees. The only difference between now and before the lay offs is that you'll expect each new person to carry a larger load then they would have a few years ago.

But like others have said, you'll need to find the right balance between efficiency and working your people into the ground.

I am interviewing for a new job tomorrow pretty much because of burn out. Where I work your reward for doing a good job is a bigger work load, more responsibilities, more stress, less time off and no more money.

Being in the same industry as you, I see the same thing. I don't know how long you can push folks. For now, I deal with it because I need to keep a job for my family. Plain and simple, I'll keep taking it.

Kind of straying into left field here, but does anyone else work for a company who's so intent on coming up with a new catch-phrase every week, or doing what "that other company" is doing, implementing Lean principles/Six Sigma or any other smoke screen to buffalo their customers that they almost forget what business they're in?

Upnorth,

good luck with the interview tomorrow. Hope it goes well for ya.

Sorry boys. Stop your whining and get to work. If you don't like how your employer does it then put your own money up and run a business the way you want. They put the money up so they have the right to make a profit.

Yep.. I think what we are seeing here is what should have happend years ago. Its time for those that want a Job to step up and do the job. Its been to long for those that want to float along and pull in a check. I know it sounds bad but I know there are alot of folks out there that have just bounced along and never had a clue as to what it takes to run a company. Now is the time to step up if you ask me. MORE FOR LESS!!!

Originally Posted By: DLV

Yep.. I think what we are seeing here is what should have happend years ago. Its time for those that want a Job to step up and do the job. Its been to long for those that want to float along and pull in a check. I know it sounds bad but I know there are alot of folks out there that have just bounced along and never had a clue as to what it takes to run a company. Now is the time to step up if you ask me. MORE FOR LESS!!!

And the companies aren't responsible in the least for what's been happening with their output? It's not just the employees who are at fault here guys. 75% of my co-workers were outstanding performers every day. Now you tack on the economy, depleted retirement accounts, mismanagement of company resources (I'm speaking of a publicly traded company). All of that coupled with the increasing age of some of these people and you're talking like someone before Abe Lincoln became president, cracking the whip.

Some day you may come to realize the same feelings that many of the displaced workers have.

Pickelfarmer,

what I was basically trying to say is that some companies are solely responsible for the moral issues and failulres within their business. Companies run by a core management group who can't think for themselves and try to follow the lead set by other companies. Management who seems to think that manufactured goods grow on trees.

I don't have enough fingers and toes to count the number of times my managers have made comments like, "Well, when I was at J&J, we did it this way". Trying to run a business like another when there is absolutely nothing in common between the two leads to huge failures.

I could go on and on about this providing examples where businesses fail because of incompetent management.

Quote:
I could go on and on about this providing examples where businesses fail because of incompetent management.

I think it's a good thing for any company to be "lean and mean", but in order for it to work, the management has to set the example. They can't be off playing every day and living like kings and expect their employees to work like dogs and take cuts in pay and benefits.

Kind of straying into left field here, but does anyone else work for a company who's so intent on coming up with a new catch-phrase every week, or doing what "that other company" is doing, implementing Lean principles/Six Sigma or any other smoke screen to buffalo their customers that they almost forget what business they're in?

Glad to hear we are not the only ones that get the Lean/Sigma carp all the time. We could save some serious $$$ by just getting rid of that dead weight.

Originally Posted By: upnorth

Being in the same industry as you, I see the same thing. I don't know how long you can push folks. For now, I deal with it because I need to keep a job for my family. Plain and simple, I'll keep taking it.

I am in the same boat, staying til I can find something else that is at least close in pay and bennies. What really took the cake was a couple weeks ago took a Friday off to have a long weekend of camping and fishing and Friday at 9 am my cell phone rings and they need me back at work. I took it OK, but the people I was with didn't take it so well. The rest of the group spent a lot of time with the "cripes you are on vacation they should leave you alone". Pretty much ruined the weekend for them.

And Lep thanks for the well wishes, I appreciate it.

I know a few years ago, they spent like drunken sailors where I am. Still spending now, just employees aren't getting raises and we aren't fill possitions that leave. So the company hasn't stopped it's spending, just cut jobs.

There is a very delicate balance involved here. Yes employees should work hard, but where do you draw the line? You folks that keep saying quit whining and work harder should do a little research of the working conditions over 100 years ago. Maybe we should return to that, 60-80 hours a week no benefits, no insurance, if you get hurt on the job tough luck, get me some new meat. On and on. Many people work very hard for a living and have lost there jobs recently, myself included. Ask my friends, and even my ex-coworkers/foremen if they would consider me "dead weight". Now these guys are missing vacations, getting reductions in pay, loss of company vehicles and the such. Yeah, the still have a job, but you really need to remember the old adage, "Work to Live, don't Live to Work." Also when folks are getting older and closer to death, I bet you no one reflects back on their life and says, "I wish I would have worked more."

One other thing that has not be brought up yet is safety. Over working someone especially in a physical demanding job can lead to fatigue, which intern leads to accidents. I know that this is a serious topic in large scale construction these days. A company with many on site or job related accidents has a hard time bidding large jobs, and even getting workers comp insurance.

Just my four cents.