Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GBPackerNut

reel gear ratio???

10 posts in this topic

I see most guys using reels with gear ratios around 5.2 or 5.3:1. Is there any reason a person would want or use a faster reel, something like in the 6.3:1 like the C4 reels use? or is that just plain too fast for the presentations that would be used for muskie fishing?

Thanks

You can always reel slower on a faster reel but it can get fatiguing trying to burn something on a slower reel. Just another way to vary presentation.

Speed thrills. wink

I could see it helping for speedy topwaters or in river situations or with fast winds pushing the boat along.

Just depends on what youre doing, Ussually i like a sower reel when Im fishin big baits,But I also use the higher geared reels when i want speed. Keep it Fun

On a C4 which has the 6.3:1 ratio, all but the smallest baits would pull harder for you and ultimately wear the reel out fast. I use C4's on my jerkbait rods. I like them because you can pick up slack line faster with them. Although there is nothing wrong with using lower ratio reels for the same task.

For everything else, I use 4.7:1 5.1:1 and 5.3:1 ratio reels.

Higher quality reels with high gear ratios: Shimano Curado 300 6.2:1 (I think) and the Garcia Revo Toro HS which has a 6.4:1 ratio are being used now with success. I am waiting a year to see how the Revo Toros (both the 5.4:1 and 6.4:1)pan out. They really look like they could be the perfect Musky reels.

Hope this helps.

Dave

There's a reason guys are using Shimano Trinidads and Daiwa Saltists now... you can't get that kind of speed out of traditional reels without burning them up or burning you out. Pretty presentation specific reel but I CAN see the advantage.

I'm still new to this game and have just been using my Garcia 7000s which are a 4.1:1. They handle the big blades nice but a guy gets sick of cranking fast after awhile. wink When drifting with the wind, its very difficult to keep up with a low gear ratio.

When I win the lotto, I'm going to upgrade to some more appropiate reels. grin

The amount of line you have on the spool is part of the equation too.

A cheap way to get a reel to run faster is to fill the spool with line, a full spool has more line retrieve than a half empty one.

On a side note, does anyone know what the line retrieve per crank is on a C4?

Abu Garcia C4 = 29" of line per handle turn.

So a Abu 6000 with 5:3:1, will pick up X amount of line?

24 inches?