• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

1990 110HP Evinrude question

crothmeier

father recently purchased a different/bigger boat, and we are curious about a few things. its a 1990 alumacraft phantom v17 with a 110hp evinrude V4 outboard. He recieved two props with the package, one that came on it is a little dinged up and is stamped 13x19. there is another one in the boat brand new that says 14x19. they are both steel (not stainless). Whats the difference between the two?? The one that is on there right now takes awhile to pop up on plane. would the other one be pitched different. if im thinking right the 19 would be the degree of pitch. im not sure what the 13 and 14 stand for.

this leads me into my next question, at wide open she runs about 4300 on the tach. To me that seems a little low? maybe not im not sure. would prop change this at all?

Last question, and this has been addressed in another thread, but not for this particular motor, but she veers to the right pretty hard if you let go of the steering wheel. there are two things I know that need to be addressed, first one is obvious, the skag is bent slightly to the side. Question: Can this be heated up and bent back straight with out snapping it off? second thing to adjust after the skag gets straightened out would be the trim tabs. Where are these and how to adjust?

any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sorry.. I must have missed your post.

Your props are probably aluminum if they're not stainless steel, unless they're stainless, but painted.

The difference between the two is that the 14 X 19 has a larger diameter, and therfore, should provide more holeshot as the blades are larger.

Yes, your RPM's are way low... they should be 5500 RPM.

Do you have a rough idea what kind of speed he was getting (gps preferably)? I'd like to make sure tach's good and on the right setting prior to suggesting a different prop since it sounds odd that this rig wouldn't be turning higher RPM's with this prop.

Yes, your skeg can be straightened, although I'm not sure how it's done.. I've never done it. But, if it's bent pretty good that could definitely contribute to the boat pulling one direction.

The trim tab is located directly above the prop. Adjust it the direction that the boat pulls.

marine_man

only 4300, even with a 19, seems very low too me. The first thing I would do is a spark and compression test just to be sure the engine is in good shape.

In regards to the skeg, Its been my experience that aluminum will bend once really well and trying to staighten will often break things.

thanks guys, i'll gps the speed this weekend to make sure the tach is working properly. it seems to be though. dad found a guy in town the does welding and metal work that will fix the skag up. im going to put the 14" diameter prop on, as the 13" one that is on right now is a little dinged up. i'll report back the speed.

Compression and spark should be good as the guy that had it before us kept it up very good and has the reciepts to prove it.

i have a lund 1700 fisherman with a 110 Evinrude i had a 14x17 prop on but went to a 14x15 prop I like the 14x15 better for the hole shot and I didnt lose much top end speed I run about 5500 RPM at full throttle

Ok, ran it last night with the new prop on it 19 deg, 14" dia.

Its still really slow out of the hole, but now im thinking its more the engine, when giving it throttle it revs good at first then gets doggy for awhile, almost until it gets up on plane some, then it runs better again, topping out at 4200rpm on the tach, and 35mph on the gps. This was with me and my father and our gear (normal load for us).

So the focus now im guessing is the motor. its been gone through recently, new fuel pump, vro pump but it was fogged and has sat for a year and a half before he bought it. It had some gas in it, not much and I believe the guy said it was treated. We filled the tank up and added stablizer/cleaner. It starts up fine, it idles fine, it runs at full throttle fine (besides being about 1000rpm shy of where it should be) its just doggy when you punch it. suggestions?? clean carbs, bad gas, ?????

edit: i should add that the 35mph was with a full livewell also.

thank-you in advance for any suggestions/help/advice. Its what makes this site awesome!

i think we are going to try and trade the new prop for something along the lines of a 15 or 17 degree, maybe try both out and find the one that works better. thanks for the input.

as for the motor we are goign to do compression test and tune-up carb clean, hopefully that takes care of the bogging down.