• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Motor Help Please? 28hp Evinrude... I can't go out anymore!!

HopkinsFishN

Hey guys, thanks for reading and hopefully someone will be able to help me out a little bit here. So I have an '83 Evinrude 28hp...thing has run like a top since I've boughten it until Saturday...Got out on the water, motor was goin slower than normal by a few mph...and it starts boggin down at full throttle. It will still run fine at low mph (5-6)but when I put the throttle down it starts boggin down. . .figured it was just a spark plug, changed those out as they were shot...and still have the same issue. . .I am no mechanic by any means, therefore I am here looking for someone if they can direct me on what ya think it is or anyone that would wanna take a look at it. It sounds like the carbs (hopefully a simple cleaning) or maybe fuel pump. Anyways, if someone wants to help a fisherman out here, I would greatly appreciate it!

Here is a lot of info from my troubles with my 25hp Evinrude. Some of it was "carb cleaning" and other issues, and some of it was my fault wink Lots of good info from others and some pitfalls to watch for. All in all, it will be quite easy and cheap to get your running perfectly again.

My thread about same issues from earlier this year.

Good luck!

Thanks to both of you for chiming in here.

Box-Looks like you got a lot of good info here...Main thing. . start cheap and easy first!! haha Anyways, thanks again...probably be coming back with some questions soon enough. But thank you again!

So, I got a new hose for the tank, I had the carb taken apart and cleaned and everything by a guy that does them all the time....motor runs a cleaner for sure. But what is happening is at the top end it is still not getting the fuel to it and now the motor is starting to overheat is seems like...I have no clue which direction to go to now. . .Can someone help me??

Have you checked the back of the motor while it's running to make sure it's "peeing" water out like it should? If it isn't then you need a new impeller. Could be why you are overheating! Have you checked your fuel filter? It should be located on the side of your motor with a line running to the carb. Have you checked for air leak's in the fuel line's located right on the motor? Might not be a bad idea to go ahead and replace them as well. Good luck! 1DIRTBALL

Have you checked the back of the motor while it's running to make sure it's "peeing" water out like it should? If it isn't then you need a new impeller. Could be why you are overheating! Have you checked your fuel filter? It should be located on the side of your motor with a line running to the carb. Have you checked for air leak's in the fuel line's located right on the motor? Might not be a bad idea to go ahead and replace them as well. Good luck! 1DIRTBALL

Thanks for the reply dirtball, It is still peeing, but it is peeing hot water, real hot water. . .Would the filter be the cylinder shaped piece with a red lever on it up front next to the carb???

the fuel filter is closer to the back it has a flat head screw on it, the thing with the red lever is your primer dont take that apart.. what kinda boat is it on?? put like a talbe spoon of water on the head after running it should not boil off fast

Alright, well I ended up getting a new thermostat yesterday took the back plate off to find out the gasket is shot. . .replacing that tonight and hoping I am good to go. . .Any other ideas besides the fuel pump if it doesn't work???

the fuel filter is closer to the back it has a flat head screw on it, the thing with the red lever is your primer dont take that apart.. what kinda boat is it on?? put like a talbe spoon of water on the head after running it should not boil off fast

Motor is an '83 Evinrude 28hp, boat is an early 80's 16' northwoods. . .don't believe the motor was used a whole lot before we bought, looks pretty darn clean inside and out. but the thermostat was def shot when i took it out last night

i asked this because if it was on a big pontoon it could get hot because they are hard to push.. does it smoke alot? or even a little at wot?? if so you head gasket could be out, timing off or something in the high speed jets..

Well our boat does push quite a bit of water. . .its got a custom FULL deck across it (came with it when we bought it) Love the deck for muskie fishing as thats what I do mostly. . . but I do know that is pushes quite a bit of water...motor has always smoked somewhat, figured we need to lean out the oil a little bit, but for a motor that old, it has 100/1 stamped on the motor. . .I know the you aren't supposed to run the older motors with as much oil now due to the quality of oil thats used...

Are you saying you using less oil then 100/1? If so you'll cook that powerhead.

Long time ago Johnson/Evinrude advised to stop using the 100/1 and go back to 50/1.

No we definetly don't use less than 100/1, we always go extra. . .and atleast use stabill in every other tank. Didn't get a chance to try it after the thermostat yet, tore the gasket so had to guy buy one of those after, and now I'm waiting on a bottle of shellac compound...next time I run it though, we'll try going a little heavier on the gas. Never heard that about going 50/1...I was still in diapers. But with the upgrading of oil now a days, don't most people usually go with a thinner mix on the older motors???

use 50 to 1! if your power head goes out you will be out 3 grand if you use a little more oil you will be out what 10 bucks.. so your saying the gasket was broke or it broke easily?? if it leaked water it would not allow which ever cylinder it was in to run properly..

Geez, my boat isn't even worth 3 grand haha. When I took the back plate off to take out the thermostat, the gasket was just ripped up a little bit in there, had some corrosion on it from the thermo being shot...