Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Eckie

Madoff gets 150...

24 posts in this topic

Vindication for Sid Hartman, one of many on the list of donors.

Most of us are suffering from his [PoorWordUsage].

Just wondering what you guys think about the fact that Madoff got 150 years when a rapist gets 2 years and probation....does something seem wrong here?!

Nope, glad he got what he did, he destroyed many lives. I don't like the fact that some people get off easy but this douche got what he had coming.

It isn't that he got a an unfairly heavy sentence it is that the rapist got off way to easy. He screwed many people and their lives pretty badly.

Nothing against all of Madoff's victims because I'm sure it isn't fun being broke, but it irritates me a bit that he got 150, while murderers and rapists regularly get off with far less than half of that. Not saying he doesn't deserve the 150, but maybe more so that other criminals deserve more. It just goes to show how much we as Americans overvalue the dollar. Again, I'm not saying I dont feel for the victims and families that are suffering from his crimes, but I would much rather be broke and living on the streets than dead or raped. Just my opinion.

No, I think he got what he deserved. My main beef was from a story they did on the news last night. They asked a judge that same question, why did he get a considerably larger sentence than someone who commits a violent crime, and the judge justified the sentence because they make their sentence by public opinion. So basically, our society is to the point that it considers stealing someone's money more of an offense than murder, rape, treason, etc. I'm so fed up with where our justice system is, it makes me sick.

I agree, he got what he deserved, but others should get more time for sure. Rapists and murderers should never see the light of day IMO.

This guy screwed thousands of people out of a lot of money, what was the total, $65 billion... that's BEYOND bad. I think justice was served correctly in this case. Hell they should have turned the mob loose on the guy.

Just wondering what you guys think about the fact that Madoff got 150 years when a rapist gets 2 years and probation....does something seem wrong here?!

It is wrong that murders and rapists would get a light sentence. In a number of those cases the punishment does not fit the crime. I would agree that a two year sentence for a convicted rapist is not appropriate.

It is not wrong that Bernie Madoff got 150 years. He had a huge impact on a number of peoples' lives. He was a thieving, crooked b@stard, 150 years will give him ample time to repent.

Originally Posted By: fishuhalik

It is wrong that murders and rapists would get a light sentence. In a number of those cases the punishment does not fit the crime. I would agree that a two year sentence for a convicted rapist is not appropriate.

It is not wrong that Bernie Madoff got 150 years. He had a huge impact on a number of peoples' lives. He was a thieving, crooked b@stard, 150 years will give him ample time to repent.

The difference seems to be that no one really cares when murderers and rapists get off easy, or we could put a stop to it. Where are the angry mobs? But when someone steals someones money, now that is serious business!

This guy screwed thousands of people out of a lot of money, what was the total, $65 billion... that's BEYOND bad. I think justice was served correctly in this case. Hell they should have turned the mob loose on the guy.

The number is actually like triple that isn't it?? I just read that they seized $150,000,000,000 and are looking for more he may have hidden.

I think he got what he deserved, it can't be fun being an old man in prison. He wrecked the lives of many and helped put another dent in our economy. It is sad what rapists and murderers get away with. We need capital punishment for these kind of people. They are a burden to pay for and most of the time they get out and just do it again anyway.

The difference seems to be that no one really cares when murderers and rapists get off easy, or we could put a stop to it. Where are the angry mobs? But when someone steals someones money, now that is serious business!

I think that mainly has to do with how much press each of these cases get as a result of the scale of the crime in its respective category. Madoff's was huge in respect to the number of people it impacted and the amount of money involved. I am sure there are a number of other people who have been convicted of a similar crime but on a smaller scale so we don't hear about it.

We all hear about the serial killers but unless it happens locally don't hear much about murders aren't as publicized. Most know who Ed Gein, David Berkowitz, Richard Ramirez, etc. are but most won't know someone who hasn't been convicted of murder considered as heinous as what they have done.

150 years in jail still doesnt give back the money he took from those people and the lives he destroyed

I think he got what he deserved, it can't be fun being an old man in prison.

Too bad he'll go to country club prison rather than don't drop the soap prison. The latter would give him a taste of his own medicine.

150 years in jail still doesnt give back the money he took from those people and the lives he destroyed

It's not just the people who invested with this guy who are out great deals of money. Each investor who lost their money can claim that loss on their taxes so once again, it's the taxpayer that will continue to pay for this guy's greed.

Quote:
Too bad he'll go to country club prison rather than don't drop the soap prison.

Not necessarily, from what I've read...

He might have to go to a medium security facility and be put in with the regular inmates because of the higher than normal sentencing. Most white collar criminals typically get 3 to 5 years and the low security, cushy, facility.

What do you think would have been an appropriate punishment? We seized all his assets and sent his "asset" to jail for the rest of his life. What else are we coule we have done to punish him?

I think that mainly has to do with how much press each of these cases get as a result of the scale of the crime in its respective category.

Yep the press decides what is important. That is why when there are cases of child abuse every day, when someone harms a puppy, kitten or baby duck that makes the evening news.

I also read that these type of white collar criminals often hire a "prison consultant" to brief them on what to expect in prison. Hopefully, they might even try to negotiate where they will serve their term.

And if you are absolutely forced to serve in a medium security federal prison camp, the very best place to go is none other than Duluth, Minnesota... smile

Sounds to me like he is qualified for a job in the US government laugh

Thought I'd do a follow-up on this thread:

Quote:

ABC News

July 14, 2009

Bernie Madoff 'Hit the Inmate Lottery' with Butner Prison, Consultant Says

Ponzi Scammer Arrives By Bus at His New Home in North Carolina

'Home sweet home' has new meaning for notorious Ponzi scammer Bernie Madoff, who arrived clad in a blue jumpsuit at the Butner Federal Correctional Complex in North Carolina just before noon today to begin serving his 150-year sentence.

The financier will spend his remaining years in Butner Correctional Facility.

Madoff, 71, who had an overnight layover at the U.S. Penitentiary in Atlanta, GA, "hit the inmate lottery" by being assigned to Butner's medium security lockup, said federal sentencing attorney Alan Ellis, who characterizes the facility as "one of the crown jewels of the federal prison system."

"It looks and feels like a college campus," said Ellis, who has clients currently serving time there and says it's a popular assignment request for many white collar criminals.

Ellis, author of the "Federal Prison Guidebook," said that in addition to the many graduate students from neighboring University of North Carolina and Duke University that intern at the prison, "The staff is good there. And I always say happy staff makes for happy inmates."

Madoff's former life of luxury will quickly turn into a life of routine at Butner. Inmates start their day at 6 a.m. and are required to work 7.5 hours a day, as long as they're found medically fit, according to the Bureau of Prisons. Madoff will make between 12 cents and 40 cents an hour to be a groundskeeper, a food service employee or a commissary worker. Dinner is at 5 p.m., with free time afterwards until 9 p.m., during which time he can partake in recreational, religious or educational programs.

As a new inmate, Madoff will first undergo a medical and psychiatric screening and will be assigned a case worker.

Visitation is Monday, Thursday and Friday between 2:30 p.m. and 8 p.m., and Saturday and Sunday from 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. Approved visitors can come during visiting days and hours for a length of time determined by the prison depending on how busy it is. Madoff's wife Ruth had been a consistent jail visitor while Madoff was locked up in lower Manhattan awaiting sentencing and then a permanent assignment.